SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

do your annuals enjoy a Mediterranean climate?

digit
14 years ago

There's more to gardening than climate. Soil rates right up there and here in the arid interior West, so does irrigation . . . oh, I guess I'm back to climate.

I recently learned that the place I grew up, in the Rogue Valley of Oregon, has what is defined as a year-around Mediterranean climate. I guess that the California white oaks, madrones and pine should have been a give away.

I've been thinking that Mediterranean varieties of annuals, of an early-maturing nature, may be BEST suited for my annual gardens. It prompted the question: if you just considered the growing season, where else would this Mediterranean climate exist?

First off, there's such a thing as a year-around "Continental Mediterranean climate." Wikipedia claims that it exists in southeast France, northern Spain, and some of the higher elevation areas of Greece, Turkey, and Iran.

Let's just take the June, July and August temperatures and rainfall of a couple cities in the West and at that of Burgos, Spain.

Burgos: temperatures (in ðF) highs: 72, 79, 81, lows: 46, 52, 52, precipitation (in inches): 1.8, 1.2, 1.1

Denver: temperatures (in ðF) highs: 80, 86, 87, lows: 56, 62, 61, precipitation (in inches): 1.5, 1.5, 1.0

Spokane: temperatures (in ðF) highs: 74, 82, 83, lows: 49, 55, 55, precipitation (in inches): 1.2, .8, .7

Denver is a little warmer than Burgos. Spokane is a little drier.

Now don't rush out and plant citrus trees. But, I just wonder what gardeners in Burgos, and other areas of the world that we wouldn't normally think of as similar to ours, are planting in their annual gardens.

Steve

Comments (9)