SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minaloyitaly

Growing Austin roses in containers in a Mediterranean climate

MinaLoy
10 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to gardening but have been reading the boards for a while, marvelling at all the knowledge and passion out there. I would love some advice if anyone can spare the time!

We have recently moved to Lucca, in Tuscany, Italy. The climate is coldish, wet winters and hot summers which can be either dry or humid. At the moment we have a terrace, so everything needs to be grown in pots (in 18 months- 2 years things could be planted into a garden, but not before). The terrace gets a lot of sun in the morning, then in the afternoon it's part sun, part shade. I'm quite flexible about the position of plants and happy to move them as necessary.

A relative has offered to buy me a couple of plants as a house-warming gift and I would especially love to get a couple of David Austins or Bourbons, as I love the multi-petalled, globular or cupped shapes, and I adore fragrant roses. I'm not sure if this is madness given the heat/container combination...

There are nurserys in Tuscany with decent selections of both DAs and Bourbons, but I find the choice overwhelming, and I know containers aren't the ideal home for most roses - so I'd love advice or recommendations about which one a) grow well in containers, b) do well and reflower in the heat and c) are fairly resistant, as I'm a novice!

Ideally I'd love a dark rose (William Shakespeare, Dark Lady, Falstaff), a mid-pink (Louise Odier, Alnwick,Brother Cadfel) and something pale and peachy (The Shepardess, Wollerton Old Hall, Shropshire Lad, Jude the Obscure, St Cecilia)

Also, is it too late in the year to purchase and repot a container rose in a hot climate - would I be better to wait until Autumn and get container plants/ bare roots? If it's possible I'd love to have some late summer/ autumn blooms...

Thank you in advance...

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer