SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Major crisis -- losing the house :-( (long and sordid)

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

I really can't take any more of this stress. It's destroying my physical and emotional health.

Last Friday I found a NOTICE OF VIOLATION stuck in the bushes in my front yard. It said that I had weeds and grass in violation of city ordinances, and that I had litter, trash, and debris, i.e., automobiles, garbage, broken furniture, and old appliances on my front yard visible from the street. I had until 10/5 to get all of it hauled away and all the debris cleared out of both front and back yard.

That's ridiculous! I have nothing like that. I don't even have an auto in my garage! I called them about it, and I was told to ignore it, they had no record of any notice sent to me, and it probably blew in from someone else's yard.

So I ignored it. My weed whacker's broken, so that weekend I continued to pull the weeds I saw, weed my driveway, and spray Roundup where I wouldn't hurt my flowers.

Now today I came home from class to find a NOTICE OF PENDING ABATEMENT! Since I did exactly what they told me to do and ignored the first notice I found, I'm in even more serious trouble, and it's going to cost me thousands of dollars to get rid of the weeds and the trash and the old appliances and broken furniture that I don't have.

I don't have that kind of money. I won't even have a job in a couple of weeks. And now I've got to take what time remaining on my contract off to try to do something about this. And it's obvious that no matter what I do, they'll find something else I've supposedly done wrong. I'm going to end up foreclosing on the house, losing everything, and living on the streets.

Why did they lie to me and tell me to ignore the first notice just to get me into more trouble?? Why am I being targeted like this? Why does my life have to be like this??? I'm doing the best that I can, but nothing I do ever works out right.

And they did the second inspection two days early, and it looked even better than it did a week ago, so they have to make up things to get me.

The former owners had the backyard choked with chest high weeds. No one ever complained about them. I cleared the weeds out and put in a raised vegetable garden, and that makes me somehow at fault. If I have bare spots on my front lawn, it's because the neighbor dog jumps the fence and pees all over it. My bare spots look suspiciously like their bare spots. Yet no one complains about them. And they don't have to do anything about their dog that barks for hours in the middle of the night and keeps me awake, and that can be heard a block and a half away. And I can count at least six houses on my walk to the bus stop that have knee and waist high weeds. Why doesn't anyone ever bother them about it?

My life sucks. What's the point. I'm going to lose everything, and there's nothing I can do about it, because they'll find some way to nail me, no matter what I do.

Why does my life have to be like this?

Comments (13)