SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Peaches, peaches, and more peaches

lilacs_of_may
15 years ago

And for those who don't like peaches, we have...

Zucchini!

I have so far processed 76 peaches. I made 10 cups of freezer peach jam, a peach pie, a loaf of peach bread, a peach cobbler, a peach crisp, and I'm currently cooking down some for peach butter.

That is just a small fraction of what my tree put out this year, but I lost the vast majority to squirrels, OFM, yellow jackets, earwigs, and other various insects. Then there's the peaches that shriveled up just after they developed and never grew. And a lot that fell from the tree and went splat and were unusable. There are a lot that fell on the other side of the fence, and I can't get to them. And there are several branches that jut over the fence that I can't get to. Two-legged thieves made off with a lot of those peaches, which I grudgingly admit is okay in that at least they don't go to waste. Then there are the peaches that I brought inside that turned brown within a day and had to be thrown out.

I suppose, in ye olden days of extended families, there would be several people working on the harvest and a lot less waste.

Peach jam on peach bread is absolutely yummy. I'd make more peach jam, but I ran out of freezer cups. I want to make more bread, more cobbler, another pie, and I'd like to puree some to freeze as juice. Can you make peach soup? ;-)

Then there are the 12 zucchini in my fridge that I have to do something with. My Roma and cherry tomatoes are beginning to ripen, and my Viva Italia has a lot of greenies, but a lot of these I can just plop into the freezer until I get the time to make sauce.

So how is everybody else's harvesting?

I am absolutely sold on this idea of walking out into the back yard and coming back in with supper.

Comments (6)