SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

How hard is it to learn budding, and which rootstock is good?

luxrosa
10 years ago

I've given up on trying to grow 'Marachel Niel' on his own roots, after 3 years of pampering the bush, it is still less than 2 feet tall.
- I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest an easy way to bud roses onto rootstock, or tell me of a website with the information.
-also, which rootstock would be the best one to use?
I live in the san francisco bay area, where the native soil is dense clay, which I've amended to a ph. of 6.3 in the rose garden

I was considering using R, californica for rootstock because it has grown rapidly in my front yard in native soil near the sidewalk and it seems not to mind clay at all. Might that rose make a good rootstock?

I also have an Albertine' (wich x Pernetiana) hybrid that I was curious about using for rootstock because it has both wicherana and Persiana as close relatives, and Albertine is a vigerous plant.

There is a R. multiflora nearby that I might be able to get cuttings from, and R. moschata in my front yard.

my neighbors Florabunda is budded onto Dr. Huey, and since the rootstock has jumped the graft, I could get cuttings from that cane.

I'd also like to bud an' Irene Chirucca'
which leads to my third question;
-do different rose cultivars do better on a specific rootstock or is it more of a soil compatibility thang with the rootstock?

Thanks so much,

Luxrosa

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting