SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

advise me please, How did I loose 99 rose cuttings?

luxrosa
12 years ago

I hope that one of you can help me troubleshoot.

in October last year, I took a couple of cuttings of 'Flutterbye' which is a pretty yellow Souleana hybrid , not only did both cuttings strike roots, but they both flowered whilst still in the zip loc bag after less than 16 weeks from the day they were cut from the rosebush! Ta da! I was so excited that in December though January I took another 99 hard rose cuttings from various Tea roses, Chinas, Noisettes and a couple H.P.s .

My usual strike rate has been around 80% over the last 5 years.

I sprained my ankle badly in December and didn't want to drive my car to the nursery from which I usually buy my rose propagation soil blend because it is several miles away and I'd have had to press the clutch with my bad foot, this is relevant because it led me to do what I normally would not , after a friend drove me to the nearest Walgreens to pick up medicine and whilst I was there I saw they had potting soil on sale for 49 cents a bag, I bought a bunch of bags and used it as I usually do, in ziplock bags by the Mel Hulse method, for my next 99 cuttings.

Every one of those cuttings died, though a great majority of them had callused.

I was so stunned that I lost all my baby rosebushes that I felt as though I had gone into mourning.

Do you ever feel that way over a rose you've grown from a wee cutting?

Is it possible that the bagged soil had some chemical in it, or was contaminated in some way???

I was so heartbroken that I have not yet propagated any roses this summer.

Thanks,

Luxrosa

Comments (5)