SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Roses and Clematis combinations

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

I didn't realize how many rose-clematis combinations I had until I looked at the pics my daughter took of my gardens on Memorial Day. Here's a selection from her pics.

Well-Being (Harkness shrub) and clematis Durandii (scrambler).

Here's a close-up of Well-Being. I love how the color of the buds contrasts with the actual flower. It blooms in clusters.

This pic shows the red-and-white portion of my garden, starring Dublin Bay Climber and clematis Alba Luxurians. That's Eutin (floribunda) in the bottom right-hand corner.

Here are some old favorites: Buff Beauty (hybrid musk) backed by clematis Jackmani (they are out back by the alley--about 5 Jackmani out there).

Clematis Venosa Violacea is also on the back alley fence, mixed in with the Jackmani. I really like Venosa Violacea.

I had trouble placing clematis Prince Charles--had to move him three times before he found a home he liked with the climber Golden Showers.

In the background behind Prince Charles and Golden Showers is one of my favorites--oh, oh, it's clematis Princess Diana. (I'll leave the jokes to you!)

Too bad the hybrid musk Jeri Jennings wasn't blooming more fulsomely while my daughter was visiting, but you can see how charmingly the clematis Rooguchi (scrambler) grows up through Jeri's sprays.

This is supposed to be the combo of climber Sombreuil and clematis Rhapsody (I think), but Sombreuil is still young and wasn't blooming yet. She's white--should be quite dramatic next to Rhapsody's rich purple, don't you think?

Just to make sure I didn't get too carried away with the clematis pics, let me add one more rose--my newest one: the polyantha Mother's Day. This is her very first bloom--she is so small and cute.

{{gwi:215444}}

Hope you enjoyed my rose-clematis combos. I have a few others, but they were not in bloom. I'll post them later.

Kate

Comments (18)