SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nvl4

Hardening off rose without wilting or rotting

NVL4
9 years ago

Hi - I have a florist rose that I am trying to root. I enjoyed them and as I was discarding them when they were done I noticed new growth between a little branch with leaves and the stem. I cut it a few little branches below the new growth and took off those leaves, then I dipped it in rooting hormone and stuck it in a pot with a soda bottle over it. This is my first attempt at rooting a rose. I did this about 3 weeks ago and the new growth has increased and the old leaves still look good green and supple. However, several other cuttings have rotted. I have had them outside in bright shade in various little 'greenhouses'; most have rotted.

I have tried pulling the soda bottle off and the rose looks wilty almost right away. Even removing the lid seems to annoy this rose. If it has rooted and the new growth does wilt, will it still be OK since the old leaves seem viable? Should I just remove the cap and let it adjust, then tilt the lid for a week? I am worried because I have found some fungus in the pot and I think it might rot. Should I buy some new soil and repot and hope it survives that? I have it planted in sandy soil.

TIA

This post was edited by NVL4 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 11:15

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath