SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyclewest

Bindweed Cost-Benefit Analysis

cyclewest
16 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone has seen any numbers on how much energy a bindweed can produce for its roots per leaf per day. I'm looking for that factor that will keep my rate of pulling greater than their ability to regrow.

Before taking a two-week trip, I was meticulous about getting every trace of bindweed pulled so it couldn't flower and go to seed while I was gone. Well, they were about at that point when I returned. There are two large patches in the lawn that seem to be spreading, and two sections of a flowerbed with a shrub that seem to overflow with them. Everywhere else is sort of sporadic, but those four spots are keeping me very busy.

Are they edible? How about a nice bindweed salad anyone? The way they keep coming up, I could probably live off of it all summer.

Great news! A quick search reveals that they are not poisonous and the root has many medicinal purposes (if what I have is Convolvulus Arvensis, according to Stephen Misfud and his sources - see link below) including properties that promote the discharge of bile from the system, increases the secretion and discharge of urine, the effect of loosening or opening the intestines - hence stimulating the evacuation of faeces and so relieving constipation, and stimulates evacuation of the bowels. A cold tea made from the leaves is also laxative and is used as a wash for spider bites or may be taken internally to reduce excessive menstrual flow.

How's that for too much information?

Here is a link that might be useful: Convolvulus Arvensis

Comments (3)