SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herbalicious_gw

Site Prep for Fall and Next Year

herbalicious
17 years ago

This is long, if you get through it, thank you.

I live on the eastern plains so it's windy, sometimes too hot, pretty much hostile. (new home, no landscape)

I am working hard to get a lanscapy windbreak because traditional windbreaks don't really fit my personality. I don't like the straight lines, and it needs to be pretty. So I'm pretty much going for 10 rows or so that are loosely planted and variate and don't really LOOK like rows, look more like what we used to have in rural Douglas County(groupings). My plan is to water for a couple years and then if possible totally stop unless there is a drought. In my landscape I am totally sold on evergreen, maybe some aspens, unless there is a GOOD recommendation for deciduous that withstands the wind. I HATE windburned looking trees, they are spooky. Ideas?

Also what are those tall things that grow 3 feet a year that look like very tall sticks groups covered in leaves? I see a lot of people using them for living fences and they are so perfect because they don't seem to get windburn but I have no idea what they are, don't see them in the county book, but want to see if they can be ordered from the county.

I want to plant about 150 more tree seedlings next year. What can I do to prep the sites now? Remember no rows. I have a till.

I need to move my veggie garden to its permanent home, which I have chosen and marked out. What can I do to get plain old formerly farmland ground ready and can I use the clippings in the lawnmower to dump on the area and to mulch in? Back in Douglas I used the starbucks coffee leftover bags and pine needles, they have NEITHER here. Have a good source for free mulch in the I-70 corridor or Aurora? I have a truck. Windbreak for the garden, help. Hailcage, help. I really need ideas that I can get ready THIS year for next.

There is a 5 by 15 foot (roughly) shady spot between the walk and the house that is dirt, a planter, I guess. Can bulbs (tulips, dahlia, whatever) survive here and can it withstand those occasional windstorms? (If not please give a cute idea for windbreak.) It gets very little afternoon sun, stays perfectly moist yet not soaked. What will survive here? How can I get the ground ready for fall planting, if you recommend a plant.

Thanks, I've gotten very reliable help here for a few years and appreciate it.

Comments (14)