SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celloyogi

Prepping big new garden for next year

celloyogi
13 years ago

I was recently given the use of a sizable garden plot. Unfortunately it's too late to get much of anything growing this year but I was hoping to get everyone's input on prepping the ground for next year.

The plot is about 70 x 120ft. It was used as a vegetable garden in the past but it's been at least 3 years since anyone has maintained it. I'll be able to use about half of the plot, maybe a bit more. It's mostly overgrown with weeds now. There was an electric fence at one time (the posts and box are still there); not sure if any of it is functional. There are numerous strawberry plants all over (hopefully those will be able to stay), lots of very nice dill, and some sort of large white onion growing here and there. I'm still sorting through the rest of mess for any other goodies worth saving.

So what do you think my best options are for prepping this fall for next year? I'll of course get soil samples done, but what about tilling in compost/manure/etc before then? I'm getting out the huge (3ft+) weeds - should I weed out even the tiniest ones before tilling?

I grow all my peppers/eggplant/cucumbers in a greenhouse, and have a backyard garden for herbs, beans and a few cherry tomatoes for grazing. I'm planning on using the big garden (a few miles from my house) for corn, winter/summer squash, melons, and as many tomatoes as humanly possible. Maybe various cutting flowers to encourage bees.

Ideas appreciated!

Comments (9)