SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elsa1028

Ready to throw in the towel...advice please!

elsa1028
21 years ago

Hello, Everyone.

This is my third year of rose growing, and it has been a doozy! I have a bunch of Austin roses, and two Zephirine Drouhins on an arch. These have a rotten case of blackspot, and I waited too long to spray with the Cornell Formula (away on vacation about 3 weeks). Out of desperation, I cut back the plants a bit and went a little higher on the toxicity level with Safer's Garden Fungicide Sulfur spray. I think it's slowed the BS, but all my plants are virtually naked or have only a few spotty yellowing leaves left!!

These roses, thankfully, are OK so far:

1 Cl.America

1 Dublin Bay

1 Polka

In a pot:

Double Delight (good)

I'm really frustrated. I've lovingly watered, fertilized, and nurtured these plants for two years, and they look terrible! So, should I take this as a sign that I should get rid of all my Austins and find more resistant varieties? Zephirine is definitely going - it was the one that started the epidemic and I've since found out that it is referred to as a BS magnet. Any ideas for me? I do really like the idea of replacing with some of the rugosa varieties, but would like to salvage what I have if it's not going to be a constant battle.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022