SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sphee

Point me towards thorough pruning info, & troubleshooting?

Sphee
10 years ago

I have a variety of roses planted by the previous owner of my home. They range from a couple extremely vigorous ones, to a rootstock "volunteer," to a couple large "viney" ones and a couple that are very civilized.

Whenever I look for information about pruning these roses, I either find information that is so basic it does not address the different types of roses I seem to have, or else I find books that list different specimens as if the only goal is to buy new roses. Can anyone point me towards the best resource for information about pruning of, and general care of, the full range of different rose types?

Also, my roses are very troubled by now, some more than others. Primarily by blackspot. (I live in the Pacific Northwest.) So I'm thinking I need to prune them as much as possible this year. I also wonder if the soil is depleted... I compost but it's a small space with many plants. What is the best way to intensely but cautiously fertilize roses? And what is the maximum one can safely prune roses, and is that in fact a good approach for my roses at this point?

Comments (6)