SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsgarden

What pruning techniques work for stone-fruit and pear pruning?

lindsgarden
12 years ago

All,

I have learned so much from reading posts over the last couple years, now that I have a bunch of new fruit trees (apricot, plums, and pears) I am looking into the subject of pruning (links to old posts would be great!).

I know there are several schools of thought when it comes to pruning (heck, every nursery that sends a brochure w/plants seems to have its own way). I am looking for input from forum posters on what works in humid Maryland (way different than California!) and looking to achieve the following in my orchard:

- Trees that are 8 feet tall or less

- Trees that have minimal disease problems (as I understand this can partially be achieved by pruning to achieve good circulation, ie. branches should be well-spaced - Scott Smith has posted on this before)

- Trees that allow for squirrel defense (trunks that are unbranched for the first 3-4 feet so I can put smooth metal or plastic material around them if needed)

- Notes: Deer are not a problem for me since my orchard is fenced. My trees are spaced at least 8 feet apart, except for two Euro. pears which are more like 5-6 ft apart.

Given what I am looking to achieve, should I be pruning all my trees to "open-center"? For some reason I am thinking that open-center might lead to shorter trees than central-leader, but I could be totally off.

Any feedback from those who have already been through this before would be great. Book reccs would also be good.

Comments (8)