SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

Extreme pruning for backyard orchard culture - does it work?

eukofios
15 years ago

Over the past few years, I've been collecting a number of fruit trees in my yard to grow as miniatures in the manner of Dave Wilson Nursery's "Backyard Orchard Culture". So far my success has been varied, at least partly because last year would have been the first really fruitful year and a late frost killed the flowers and in one case the tree. I got apples and pears, but the stone fruits bearly had any fruit.

I'm wondering if others grow by this method and have success? The basic principle is to have many trees, of different varieties, that are pruned to 5 to 18 feet. Most pruning is done in summer.

My trees include several sweet cherries, an aprium, several genetic dwarf peaches (leaf curl gets them), a peach-plum hybrid, a pear, and several apples. This year I added 2 Japanese plum varieties, as well. Also a number of fig trees, but the fig forum is the place for that question.

Do others grow trees by these severe summer pruning methods? Do you get fruits this way? The goal is to have successive crops of fairly small quantities, so that you don't get overwhelmed by a huge load of fruit then nothing else for the summer.

The Dave Wilson website that promotes this method shows photos of small trees, but not actually with fruit. I have only seen this method on their site, so I am interested in hearing about actual experiences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Orchard Culture website

Comments (44)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    15 years ago

I'm growing stone fruit in my greenhouse at 6ft by 8ft spacing. The trees are very productive top to bottom mostly starting in the 2nd leaf. I need to prune about every 6 wks but it isn't that much of a job. There are a few cultivars that are more difficult to manage than others but they still work. I've done well enough to think about increasing the density to 1ft by 8ft on a V trellis.

I don't fertilize at all and limit water. Getting the water right is a big help. Plus my soil is rather weak. Trees or anything else tend to not get too big unless you really push the water and fertilizer.

When I was in CA I planted stone fruit on a 5ft by 10ft spacing. This was too thick but at the time I didn't realize I was over watering and probably over fertilizing.

I think some people will get into a mess of overly vigorous trees that don't set many fruit buds in the lower canopy or perhaps not at all and require excessive pruning. Dave Wilson seems to think any density will work if you just prune enough. I'm not so sure. But we can plant a lot thicker than we used to think.

The Fruitnut

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

I have many closely-spaced rows, with as little as 1' spacing. Most of the trees are 2-3' apart and in rows 10' apart. It is working for me, but it is not as easy as they make it seem I would say. In the east diseases are a big problem so you have to keep things from getting too dense or you will have a mess on your hands. I started with too many scaffold limbs. Now most trees have either two or three main limbs coming out from about 2-3' off the ground. Some trees are only spindles, there is only room for one trunk. I don't mind odd-shaped trees if thats what gets an open spacing; my Yellow Bellflower tree is an "r" shape, it had too much competition so now its just a trunk with one scaffold coming out the side. I do "hedging" pruning with hedge trimmers in the summer to reduce the vigor, and do thinning in the winter. So I end up doing a lot of both summer and winter pruning. The winter is the time I thin the scaffolds out. I don't allow any 1" or bigger limbs to be closer than 1-2' from another one (either on same or different tree); if they are too close I pick one to remove. This is more extreme than the Dave Wilson approach of only removing crossing limbs. Maybe in dry California you can get away with their approach, but not here in Maryland.

It is probably a bit easier to do ~4' spacing for dwarf apples ~5' for peaches and ~6' for plums/apricots/cherries, then you won't have to work as hard to keep things under control. Before I figured out to reduce the number of scaffolds I got too little light in the lower parts and reduced the potential fruiting - the exact problem fruitnut mentions. I have managed to get back to a good state on nearly all trees, there are only a few that are still out of hand. Damson plum for some reason I have had a very hard time with, I have this super-vigorous tree which I let get far too thick. I have been working on it the last couple of years and am hopeful it will finally get into line next year.

Scott

• Related Discussions

Backyard orchard help

Q

Comments (11)
    Ray, In terms of you time availability I would try to stick with easier care trees. You may get a vast diversity of opinions to your questions, but the following comments are based upon my locale/climate. Fruit trees do best with a weed free strip under the canopy. I use mulch, primarily free wood chips from local tree crews. Trees in direct competition with weeds for nutrients and moisture don't perform as well. This is especially true for smaller trees (Think of how poorly an un-weeded garden performs.) In terms of varieties, there are so many different tastes out there, I think you almost have to try some to determine what you like best. You could just go ahead and start planting trees without investigation, but you'll end up removing a lot of trees in the end (as I have done). More investigation will save you money and time in the long run. For apples, I suggest you try tasting several varieties this fall. There is a place you can purchase boxes of mixed apple varieties that may give you an idea what you like. It's called Applesource. Apples are grown in southern IL, so the growing conditions should be fairly similar to yours. Below is a link. Apples are subject to about 3 major diseases in our area, Fireblight, scab, and rust. Depending on the level of susceptibility of the various cultivars you choose, you may or may not have to spray to control these diseases. It's almost certain you'll have to spray apples to control insects. In terms of a harvest horizon, the soonest you would expect to get apples would be about 4 years (+ or - 1 year). This can vary widely with cultivar. There's about a million different cultivars to choose from. Pears are easier than apples, but take a little longer to bear. Generally pears aren't subject to any disease around here expect fireblight, which can kill them quickly. I would recommend a fireblight resistant cultivar, of which there are many. Pears can sometimes be grown without any spray whatever. Here, codling moth gets about 70% of the mature pears, but we have pretty intense insect pressure, so results could be better in your area. Japanese hybrid plums are fairly easy to grow and bear quickly. European plums taste better in my opinion but take much longer to bear and generally aren't as productive. Peaches are easy to grow and bear the second year. They do require spray. Persimmons and Pawpaws don't require anything but mulching and pruning. Pawpaws have been hard for me to get started and I lost 50% of the ones I planted. In all your picks stick with varieties that perform well in the Midwest. The biggest problem with peaches and plums is cracking and bacterial spot. The biggest problem with apples and pears is fireblight. Generally proven Midwest varieties will have some resistance to these problems. Here is a link that might be useful: Applesource
    ...See More

Smallest fruit trees/shrubs for backyard orchard culture

Q

Comments (6)
    Well I'll try and see. What you are saying glib does seem logical but in real life things sometimes work differently. Our soil is sand - and I don't mean sandy, it's just pure sand. In summer it dries almost instantly. So if a tree is far from other trees the soil around it always dries faster. But the soil of trees that are close together always stays moist even when the temp is in triple digits. So trees spaced farther apart are using up more resources like water and fertilizer ( we need to water our plants regularly otherwise they will all die cuz a few days without water and the soil is totally dry and the trees show heat stress, and we need to apply fertilizer more often because it just washes away). We have some shade trees that are planted pretty close together and they are thriving, they have grown over 10 feet in less than 2 years. We have to constantly prune them to keep them in control. I just hope that the fruit trees would show te same behavior.
    ...See More

Started my Backyard orchard

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Mike - we've messaged back and forth before from the Citrus Forum. I'm in zone 7b, Raleigh NC, which often acts more like zone 8. I'm originally from Norman OK. My property also has Eastern Red Cedars around it and all of them show signs of Cedar Apple Rust. I bought disease resistant apples and all but one of them show signs of the disease but it doesn't overwhelm the trees and some years it barely shows up. Same thing for my Quince trees - they show signs of Cedar Quince Rust. So I would plant whatever variety does well in that area and plan on doing a bit of disease management part of the year. It's all worth it when you can pick fresh, ripe apples. The newer cultivars William's Pride and Goldrush have done well for me. Arkansas Black is the one that requires no spraying and shows virtually no disease at all. The first couple of harvests will have wimpy flavor but after a few years they get really tasty. Nothing beats Goldrush for flavor as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind that a lot of apples bear alternate years so you won't get a huge harvest every year. In my yard, wildlife eventually figured out what I was growing so now I have to bag and spray and build wire barriers AND trap. Good luck. Plant what you can find and just know that you will be replacing a few of them in a few years. Peach trees grow like weeds and can suddenly die for no reason so don't worry about them too much, just keep planting new ones every couple of years.
    ...See More

My First Backyard Orchard

Q

Comments (13)
    I must say starting an orchard as a first for growing edibles is bold. I would encourage you to contact your county agrilife extension service and see if they have any information that would help you be successful. Plum, pears, and peaches are commonly grown in your area. I use to live in the Dallas area and do not remember anyone growing apples or cherries. The close space fruit tree growing seems to work best in dry climates like California. I would pay attention to what scottfsmith on this forum writes since he has similar humid conditions like you have. Someone closer to home is Neil Sperry. I think he still has a call in show on one of the Dallas radio stations on Saturday. He talks more about flowers than fruits but is knowledgeable on both. You will need to watch out for fire blight on the apples and pears. Peaches and plums are bad about getting brown rot. This forum has been very interesting for me seeing what everyone is growing and if I have a chance to grow them in southeast Texas. It has saved me money and time by finding out what might be possible and what would be a waste of resources. Just remember, all of us have made mistakes and over time we can be successful growing something.
    ...See More
  • alan haigh
    15 years ago

Heck yeah it works- increased sales to high margin customers!

Seriously, I haven't tried 4 to a hole but 2 works well for me. If you're skilled enough to make 4 trees work in a space for one I'd think you could master bud grafting and just grow several varieties on one trunk. But then again, I plant 2 peaches in space for one because I'm too impatient to wait for grafts so I guess I'm being hypocritical.

Summer pruning is essential in my training of peaches in any case- to keep light down where I have peaches growing and where I want peaches the following year. I actually summer prune everything so I can keep up with all the trees I manage and don't have to do it all in the dormant season. It also helps to control harmful fungus.

It's a bit of a delicate choreaography because you don't want to prune so much as to stunt the trees or stress them. I suppose this is more an issue in areas like mine with actual winters.

• eukofios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are helpful comments, thanks for posting them. I don't mind the summer pruning - actually enjoy doing it. This year, several of the trees look like they'll be loaded with flowers, so maybe it will be successful.

My grafting skills leave a lot to be desired - I did manage to get about 10% success on an apple tree. I also have a purchased 4-in-1 cherry and 4-in-1. The pear bore a big bowl of fruit in its 3rd year. The cherry is mostly 1 variety which had a lot more vigor than the others.

15 years ago

Whether you have multi grafted trees or many trees close together you will need to use your pruning skills to keep the more vigorous cultivars in their place. You may have to concentrate most of your pruning on just one cultivar or tree. But since you enjoy the pruning you should be able to make things work.

Apples are a good place to learn grafting and budding. Sounds like you have a good start there as well.

I agree with harvestman. Some of the push toward higher densities is a marketing tool. But the skills we learn by pushing things makes our hobby interesting.

The Fruitnut

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

* "Set reasonable expectations. You will get a lot less fruit and have a lot more work with a tree that's managed according to the DW approach. The goal is successive ripening in a regular backyard for a typical family."

This is an endorsement? Do you mean you will get a lot less fruit at a given time from a variety because it represents only a quarter of the tree or are you talking about yeald per quarter acre. If it's the former I'd be hesitant to follow you.

• MrClint
    15 years ago

Those of us following Backyard Orchard Culture get less fruit from a summer pruned tree, with the immature fruit thinned every 4 to 6 inches, than a tree that is allowed to grow and spread more freely (assuming far less pruning and thinning). With BOC the tree is only allowed to get higher than you can reach standing on the ground.

This approach may or may not be for everyone. Basically, it is what it is and the entire approach is clearly spelled out with articles and step by step videos on the website. What it is not (among other things) is a way to "shoehorn" more fruit onto a smaller tree.

• milehighgirl
    15 years ago

I'd like to ask a question with regard to this method. I've just started to read "The Grafter's Handbook", and in the beginning it talks about grafts done in nature. I was wondering if one could simply put 3 trunks next to each other and allow them to graft together naturally. For instance tie the trunks together, assuming they are compatible, and loosen the ties as they begin to grow. This seems like an easier method than a mulitgraft. It seem like it would be a whole lot easier than managing several trees planted closely together. Am I out on a limb here?

• eukofios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments. They are helpful and encouraging. You are right, I'm not trying to make huge amounts of fruit, just enough for my household and some friends, and variety / longer season is more important than quantity on one tree.

Mile high girl - I think that some trees have been 'joined' with this method but I don't think it is usually effective. You might want to start a thread on grafting to get more comments about that technique!

• edlo
    15 years ago

You can grow trees touching each other in the same hole and in time you can make them grow together as one(pleach). The Flemmings Nursery in Australia recommends this with their Duo and Trio method. I have tried it but you have to pay a lot of attention to them for years. All my attempts end up growing apart from one and other and it is very difficult to get them back together. I think that like "pleaching" there is a grafting element that should be applied to help things along, but I have not figured it out. I have though, braided 3 and 4 figs together and they pleached without any extra effort. I got the idea in K Mart at x-mas about 15 years ago after seeing braided Ficus benjamina. Just for fun

• olpea
    15 years ago

I've heard some problems with multiple trees/hole blowing down in windy climates, so it may be a good idea to braid for those in windy locations. I've braided a couple of persimmons in one hole, although they haven't grown together yet. Read once about an apple guy who braided his grafts when he top-worked. Said it worked real good.

• MrClint
    15 years ago

eukofios, I think you're doing OK. There may be seasonal and other setbacks, but by and large the BOC approach is fairly well documented. Whereas growing stone fruits in a greenhouse while holding back an unspecified amount of water or nutrients or "melding" trees together may or may not be. As for marketing ploys, BOC challenges the greatest of all marketing ploys that suggests fruit trees need to be spaced so that tractors can gain access come harvest time. If you have a standard suburban lot and want to walk out your back door and pluck off a piece of tasty fruit (almost) year round, then BOC is an option. If you are into canning, mega-harvesting, pruning/harvesting from a ladder or greenhousing, it might not be.

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

spacing trees for tractors is not a marketing ploy it's a necesary accomodation for commercial production.

15 years ago

mrclint:

We appreciate your input. But there is no reason to knock what anyone else is doing. And there is no need to knock an honest opinion offered by folks who have supported Dave Wilson, the Zaigers, this website, and home fruit growing in a big way for many years. One reason people come here is to get unbiased opinions from others who aren't trying to sell them something. Just because we have reservations that the ultra high densities might not work for everyone under all conditions, doesn't mean we blast the whole deal. Several of those that have responded are pushing the density envelope has hard as anyone. We have earned the right to have a reservation or two.

The Fruitnut

• MrClint
    15 years ago

"There is no reason to knock what anyone else is doing."

Sorry for any heartburn I may have caused. The original poster asked for help with backyard orchard culture and was offered tips on growing fruit trees in a green house, an incorrect synopsis of the BOC approach, and most importantly having the approach referred to as a marketing tool. I'm telling eukofios that it is a perfectly fine approach, to set the proper level of expectation, to make sure he's not skipping steps and to follow the guidelines.

I'm doing fine with this approach with a couple of hedgerows (4' on center) and a couple of multi-plantings (3 trees per hole with 18'' spacing). What I'm not doing is pole pruning, climbing ladders and harvesting bushel baskets full of fruit from any single tree. I've had those kinds of fruit trees in the past and prefer this method.

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Fruitnut, what is this "we". This is an anonymous group of bloggers, most of whom don't even use thier real names. These aren't real friends and this isn't a substantilally socially connected collective here. I-Village owns this site and invites all to use it to thier own wishes within the rules of the site. There is no heirarchy based on seniority- it isn't enforceable and isn't I-Vilage's intent.

I just had a run-in with a person who goes as Brandon because he fealt I was intentionally disrespecting his input. To me this is nonsense- different people have different styles- some more combative than others. I like strong opinions stated in the style that reflects their feelings and personality. Others don't. But this blog doesn't belong to any of us and no contributor has any authority to assert their own rules.

I say this with all due respect, and I personally don't participate in this blog as an outlet for my testosterone induced heirarchal instincts (well actually I probably do, but I just can't help it). I am just fiercely determined to work through the BS and figure out what really works.

Competition is good.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

Hman, humans form friendships and social connections 24/7. We also make hierarchies 24/7, its in our blood. This group thankfully doesn't have a very strong hierarchy but some online groups do. Also, all that i-Village has made is a playground, the games we play here are all up to us.

Scott

• geraldo_linux
    15 years ago

I find my efriends becoming a little testes and feelings are going to be ehurt. Why don't "we" just drop this thread and move on?

• MrClint
    15 years ago

The topic of social engineering has been addressed. ;)

Is Backyard Orchard Culture really that much of a hot button topic? Can we continue the discussion after the self-appointed thread closer has put their foot down?

eukofios, I would begin to look at the rootstocks, soil drainage, where the trees were purchased, sun exposure and other environmental issues. Did you choose good rootstocks for the PNW (is PNW the same as MNW)? You don't need a dwarf rootstock in order to keep a tree on the small side. Some rootstocks do not tolerate/thrive in wetter conditions.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I disagree with one opinion above; I think it is important that we try to be polite towards each other. And BTW, I'm not saying that anyone above wasn't polite. When I think of a blog, I envision something that is often just one person's ideas and something that, if you don't agree with, you don't have to come back to read. Here it's best if everyone feels welcome. In my opinion, this is not even close to a blog, it's a public group conversation meant to be welcoming to everyone with any interest in the topics. Gardenweb only works when everyone feels welcome.

One thing I read above that doesn't make sense to me is the discussion about production per acre with the BOC method. This would be irrelevant.

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Actually the thread above seems completely civil to me. I have a question about this BOC method being "well documented". What does this mean? Have records been kept of time investment in and harvest quantity and quality out?
    Have comparisons been made about brix content of fruit produced this way?

When I read about it in a DW catalogue a few years ago they didn't go into detail about any kind of research. I think it's only natural to be a bit skeptical when a nursery is the source for a suggestion of using 4 trees in the normal space of 1.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

Alan, Here is an attempt at a longer answer to your question.

I agree that initial skepticism is justified given the confluence of interest on the part of nurseries: "hey, lets quadruple sales!". There are no formal studies of BYOC that I know of, but there are almost no studies of any backyard fruit growing method, period -- researchers don't get their bread buttered by the backyard grower (to say the least; I have yet to find a single University researcher that will even bother to reply to my email). So, I don't think the lack of studies means anything. What convinced me to try it is a number of anecdotal success stories I heard from the west coast. I also have heard many positive comments from UC Davis staff on the method. Within CRFG it is a widely accepted method, or at least so is my impression as a long-distance member reading their publications for the last half-dozen years.

My primary reservation about it concerns its adaptability to the east. Most of California gets boatloads of sun. In the east we can get a whole week without a drop of direct sun. This makes it less likely to get fruit on a thick canopy since the dense parts will get relatively little sun in the east whereas in the west they will get much more over a season. Also, along with no sun likely comes a bunch of rain which makes our disease problem much more severe and a greater need for better air circulation. As I wrote above, after my eight years of experimenting with it I tentatively feel this shortcoming can be overcome with more spacing between scaffolds, which does make the pruning task more difficult. I have also heard a few reports of these same shortcomings from California growers, and so expect these are also problems there but to a lesser degree.

A secondary shortcoming is the quantity - it is obviously not an optimal method for harvesting the maximal quantity (and, I don't think anyone ever claimed it was). I don't think quality is sacrificed at all; my backyard Galas and Fujis are much, much sweeter than the store versions (or any of the farmers market versions I have tried).

The method also has some "hidden bonuses": when a tree dies, the neighbors fill in the space in a season or two; rootstock failure destroys an n-way graft but not a n-in-one-hole; you get to pick the varieties on your n-in-one and not be restricted to what is available. Lastly, it allows guys like me to grow 500 varieties in 1/4 acre and have a whole hoot of fun.

Scott

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Great, now I just have to market it to my customers and, yahoo, quadruple my sales

• eukofios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey guys, there's a backyard apple orchard in Chicago! See the link.

Since I'm in pacific northwest, I have generally cool summers and not as much sun as california, by far. That is an issue for my figs (which I defer to the fig forum) as well. Gene's Chicago backyard orchard sounds great, although I don't know if stone fruits will acccept the same culture methods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gene's Backyard Orchard

• MrClint
    15 years ago

Hey, you folks are great! Thanks for keeping the discussion alive, lively and helpful. :)

I've got to admit that the call for brix readings from a backyard orchardist gave me a good chuckle, thanks for that. I don't think a store bought piece of fruit is going to show a higher brix than a tree ripened piece of fruit.

Yes, here in So Cal our shade may be brighter than full sun in some locales. It doesn't take much to fry even sun/heat loving tomatoes.

There is one negative to BOC that I will admit to. The trees are so short and full that you can't just place a chair under them and enjoy the shade. Probably not good for stringing a hammock or a tree swing either.

As for the approach being well documented, there's a lot of stuff out there. There are tree videos from the UC Davis curriculum that details the BOC approach along with espaliers and such. The DW boys frequently make the rounds on the DIY network gardening shows like Paul James' show and such. If you're interested you should seek out some of the episodes and youtube videos, or else you'll have to just stay crusty and cynical. ;)

At any rate, grab a tasty beverage and enjoy the movies:
    * High Density Fruit Tree Growing
    * High density fruit tree planting
    * UMass Fruit Advisor - 09/02/08
    * How to Thin Your Fruit Tree

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Dear Mr Clint, wait a minute- getting brix readings isn't that complicated. I think DW could well afford a little systematic comparison. Summer pruning in excess has long been considered problematic in diluting soluble solids and therefore quality of fruit. Comparing to store bought as a quality evaluation is what's laughable to me. Well not laughable but at least not very informative.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

Hman, I have found that my dwarf apples in their 6th leaf need relatively little summer pruning - once they are fully bearing the amount of excess wood produced is small. Last summer I only summer pruned my apples once. So for my apples once they are fully bearing they are not so hard to control and there will be no brix issue.

The plums on the other hand are still growing like weeds. The fruit is super-sweet so it doesn't subjectively seem like a problem, but this is not scientific data. One change I have made to my plum pruning is to prune the non-flower-bud shoots back to very short lengths in the winter, almost like spur-pruning on grapes. Since they are starting out with only short branches there is less of a need to summer prune.

Scott

• MrClint
    15 years ago

You'll have to search for brix readings. There may be some info out there. Brix is an indicator of sweetness but not necessarily an indication of balance or complex flavors. It is of value because it is about the only thing that can be truly quantifiable. Knowing that taste is completely subjective, the Double Delight nectarines that I harvested last year were the best nectarines that I've ever eaten. A brix reading may or may not bear that out. Also, the sub-acid fruits have amazingly complex flavors, can be harvested while still a bit crunchy, and still have a nice balanced flavor. There's value in going for sweetness, and I have not found any of the fruits to be lacking in that regard.

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Fuji and Goldrush have equal brix on average- both off the charts. Completely different apples- Fuji almost moronically sweet but a wonderful crisp sweet- Would you consider Goldrush complex?

I've always thought complex to be an interesting word, a little snobby as an apple description perhaps but how exactly would you describe complex?

Would it be a balance of sugar and acid with the addition of a distinct aroma or are we talking about multiple aromas? I gladly settle for one. Had a baked Northern Spy today- talk about aroma! Not particularly high brix though.

• MrClint
    15 years ago

Yeah, "complex" is a little bit hoity-toity. I would be fine with "compound" or "layered" I suppose. There's certainly more to describing the flavor of really good fruit -- more than just sweet, sour, bitter or whatever happens to waft thru your nose holes. LOL

In a pinch, delicious works fine though. ;)

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

To the consumer, texture is the most important issue, I think, thus the explosive popularity of the explosively crisp Honeycrisp. This is a distinctly non-distinct apple in regards other than texture. Yet I do like it.

• juniorpilot
    15 years ago

eukofios:

Regarding your initial message which expressed concern about sever summer pruning methods, I have found great success with the high density spacing of fruit trees system.

I am in So. Calif. with lots of sun as has been noted. USDA zone 10 and Sunset zone 20. My spacing varies between 5 and 10 feet.

In pruning fruit trees, no matter what time of year, how often one prunes or what spacing is employed one must always leave fruiting wood on the tree if one expects fruit.

There's many books and articles and online posts about what is fruiting wood. Typically these writings will list the types of fruit and how many years old the wood must be to bear fruit. My experience is a bit simpler. On all stone fruit trees, sometimes one year old wood will bear fruit and almost always two year old wood will bear fruit. That same wood can go on to bear for a few more years. (I'm counting such that one year old wood is a branch grown new the previous year AND that the tree itself is at least 2 or 3 years in your ground)

To make it a bit simpler, when pruning be sure to leave some of the smaller newer growth. If you lop off everything and leave just mini-logs, you will not get fruit.

Pomme fruit requires a bit more attention. Apples are either tip bearing or spur bearing. An example of a tip bearing apple is Fuji. If one cuts off all the tips of all the branches, one won't get Fuji apples. Of course there are the exceptions. There are some Fuji varieties that are spur bearers. Spurs are short little branch-like things about 1 inch long that grow all along the branches of spur bearing apples. When pruning this type of apple tree, just make sure you leave a good amount spurs which is where the tree produces flowers and fruit.

Not to worry too much about it. One year and you'll get the hang of it. Two years and you'll be an expert.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Tony's Mini-Orchard

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Actually, I've never seen a Fuji that doesn't bear the majority of its crop on 2-year wood- I don't keep track of the different sports, but sports don't usually alter the bearing habits of a cultivar- when it does they often put spur in it's name.

Fuji is noted for bearing some of its largest apples on tips but that is not where the bulk of my fruit comes from in my experience. Still, this is the second time someone on this site has suggested Fuji to be primarily tip-bearing. Wonder why?

One thing about tip-bearing I find interesting is that some varieties such as Jonagold tip-bear, well actually, bear on annual wood, on alternate years. This can play havoc with grafts. It's not helpful when your little graft becomes a pregnant infant! You can save the graft by removing flowers but you sure won't get much growth.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

I apply the simple method of looking for flower buds when pruning. I prune off more on the non-flower-bearing shoots then the flower-bearing. I made a few mistakes in deciding what was a flower and what was not, but every year I get better at it.

My Fuji had lots of non-tip fruit last year and I have also not noticed a strong tip-fruiting tendency there.

Scott

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Thanks Scott, now I wonder where that rumor started. Is there a Fuji sport out there that bears like yellow transparent?

Some apples have flower buds that are easily recognizable, some not. Northern Spy, for instance has tiny flower buds that are difficult to distinguish from leaf buds.

I was pruning some Macs today where the flowers on 2-year wood were very easy to identify but the spur flowers were a mystery, I'm not sure which were blanks. I ended up leaving more 2-year wood than normal to be safe.

• boizeau
    15 years ago

Rather than try to squeeze a bunch of trees together and then severely prune each year, I would see what the recommended spacing is for each type of tree/rootstock combination. Hopefully your apples are on M9 or Bud9 roots. If you have stronger roots, you ought to put the grafts severally on fewer trees.
    I don't think an Apple tree on M26 should be closer than 10 feet from the next one.
    As for Pears on Quince, you could get as close as 8 feet.
    Stone fruit is 'all over the map' as for vigor, but in a word, if you have the trees crowded, you're cutting a lot of your crop off every year in a vain effort to keep the trees smaller than they ought to be.
    Another problem is that the crowding reduces light intensity and the severe pruning will keep the trees more vigorous on the remaining wood, which works against fruit bud development.

Here is a link that might be useful: pruning of fruit trees

• boizeau
    15 years ago

scottfsmith 6B/7A MD

Yes, this forum (Fruits and Orchards), is a lot more user friendly than some others. I can tell you that the topic which you are raising is very much alive on other forums and it can get very testy at times.

• geraldo_linux
    15 years ago

I don't think an Apple tree on M26 should be closer than 10 feet from the next one. boizeau

A Braeburn on M26 could be considerably closer than 10 feet on my place, and my ground is pretty fertile.
    I just pulled out some Fujiis that were about twenty years old and were 12 foot by 6 foot. Planting them close seems to dwarf the trees by having them compete with each other. Also pruning the devil out of them helps.
    It just depends on your ground and the scion. yeh, a Mutsu on M26 ten feet apart, probably not a good idea.
    Orchards are like puppies, they are all cute when they are little.

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

As I understand it, planting 4 trees in a single hole creates a strong dwarfing affect as the trees compete with each other so you are really treating 4 as 1 and planting this 4 tree to normal spacing only using 4 instead of 1. Do I have this right? It certainly seems to work for me with my 2 tree in 1 hole plantings.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

The way to think of it is four trees in one hole will eventually be about like one tree in the hole, and more low and wide since it starts out wider. So, each tree is 1/4 what it would have been if planted individually.

I have recently found a new method I like for maximum number of varieties without too much pain: do two trees in each hole and do each 2-tree in a zig-zag 6' or so apart trunk to trunk. This gives something like one variety every 2' of row as you walk down it.

Scott

• eukofios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a bit of an update on my on highly pruned trees. I have 4 sweeet cherries, all pruned to less than 7 ft tall, all started as whips 4 or 5 years ago. Last year they bloomed but no fruit due to a late frost. Here are photos with 2 of those trees now, one is blooming well and the other is almost open. The others are either blooming or almost blooming.

I also have several apples, a pear, and figs, which have been pruned with a similar philosophy, but it's too early to post photos from this year's flowers or fruits. The apples and pear look like they'll also have lots of flowers.

Maybe it does work. We'll see.

Since there are lots of flowers now, maybe there will be lots of cherries this summer. There is still some room for more growth, I can let them get to 7 or 8 foot without a problem, but plan to continue the somewhat drastic summer pruning as we have done so far.

These were from a big box store and it did not state what rootstock, other than 'semi dwarf'.

I did not use to multi-trees per hole method because I was not aware of it at the time, but otherwise am doing the summer pruning as described for backyard orchard culture.

{{gwi:65939}}

• eukofios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a bit of an update on my on highly pruned trees. I have 4 sweeet cherries, all pruned to less than 7 ft tall, all started as whips 4 or 5 years ago. Last year they bloomed but no fruit due to a late frost. Here are photos with 2 of those trees now, one is blooming well and the other is almost open. The others are either blooming or almost blooming.

I also have several apples, a pear, and figs, which have been pruned with a similar philosophy, but it's too early to post photos from this year's flowers or fruits. The apples and pear look like they'll also have lots of flowers.

Maybe it does work. We'll see.

Since there are lots of flowers now, maybe there will be lots of cherries this summer. There is still some room for more growth, I can let them get to 7 or 8 foot without a problem, but plan to continue the somewhat drastic summer pruning as we have done so far.

These were from a big box store and it did not state what rootstock, other than 'semi dwarf'.

I did not use to multi-trees per hole method because I was not aware of it at the time, but otherwise am doing the summer pruning as described for backyard orchard culture.

{{gwi:65939}}

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

Those are looking good! In my climate I have mine a bit less dense than that in terms of number of shoots, just to keep the diseases down.

Scott