SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Started my Backyard orchard

Hello

Ill be frequenting this board more now that I am starting my orchard. My initial plan will be to start with 10 trees. 4 peach, 2 plum, 2 cherry and 2 experimentals. by that I mean some interspecific types. Ill be following Tom spellmans advice on pruning to keep these within reach. Most of my choices will be guided by the Oklahoma State University recommend fruits, because i dont really know where else to start other than knowing what kind of fruits I like. I like apples but have Cedar Trees really close and I dont want to plant apples and risk Cedar Apple rust although I may try it anyways.

I just planted the first 2 peaches- 5 gallon Ranger and Elberta. I got both on sale at Home Depot for $12 each. The other 2 will be glohaven and loring as they both are proven here in Oklahoma and grown by probably the biggest Peach orchard in Eastern oklahoma. I may throw in a Fairchild for a late peach. Oh I have a fig to that i have been growing in a container that will go in the ground.

My question is this. I know its too late now but is there any company that ships the fruit of Nectaplums or Pluots so i can try the fruit before I invest in a tree. Our local markets got some pluots and I loved the taste but have no idea which variety there were. Spending money and time on something I may hate is not my favorite thing to do.

I read peoples reviews on Spice Zee and it sounds great. I know i like the foliage so I guess worst case it would be a nice ornamental if I dont like it.

I also grow citrus but obviously they get protected.

Ill get some pics up soon.

Thanks
Mike

Comments (14)