SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlietexan

My First Backyard Orchard

charlietexan
9 years ago

I planted my first orchard (first time growing anything edible) last spring (April). I am located near Denton TX which is about 50 miles north of Dallas.

I got hooked watching the FruitTube videos on youtube and have watched them all at least twice.

Here are the 12 trees that I planted:

Starkrimson Red Delicious Apple
Stark Grand Gala Apple
Enterprise Apple

Blushingstar White Peach
Starking Delicious Peach
Redhaven Peach

Starking Delicious Pear
Seckel Pear
Stark SugarSweet Pear

Starking Delicious Plum
Shiro Plum
Spring Satin Plumcot

I removed a 30X10 rectangle of Bermuda in my backyard (no easy task mind you) and then planted the trees and mulched the area heavily.

I did the knee-high cut to an outward growing bud on all trees when planted.

The trees did pretty good through their first scorching summer in North Texas. All trees leafed out and grew a bit, nothing extreme like in the videos, but enough.

I lost 2 apple trees that I replaced in December. My Red Delicious Apple and my Grand Gala Apple fell victim to a rabbit who tore up the trunks on both trees. I have since placed tree guards around each trunk to prevent any animal damage in the future.

I did a little winter pruning over the weekend and am ready for the new flush of growth this Spring.

I also built a 8X4 raised bed with 2 X 12's over the weekend that will house 3 cherry trees that I have ordered. Not sure how Cherry trees will do in North Texas but the 3 I ordered are:

Starkrimson Sweet Cherry
Stella Sweet Cherry
Starking Hardy Giant Antique Sweet Cherry

My family (3 kids and wife) is taking bets on whether or not we will get even a single piece of fruit from our trees.

Hopefully I can prove them wrong :)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus