SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cottage_cheese_z6ny

Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)

Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone 6 in N. Westchester Cty) and was given some fruit trees last year that I hope have survived the winter containerized and insulated (as shown in picture and thanks to advice from the Tree forum).

I am now planning my "orchard" and have done a bunch of reading here and elsewhere. Although I'm starting with only three trees there has to be an optimal layout, so I figured I'd ask. This is a bit of a long post for a simple question but I wanted to (A) double check my thinking and (2) start a thread where I could keep track of progress and perhaps come back with further questions on pruning, etc., and perhaps, some day, even questions on spraying, harvesting, etc. But first things first.

My goals here are primarily to provide these trees with a good environment and enjoy spring flowers and interesting trees. If I can enjoy some fruit (before the squirrels do!) a couple years down the road that will be a bonus.

The site is pictured below. Picture taken at 8 a.m. or so, looking NW. It's tough to tell in the photo, but there is a significant incline here. The pile of rocks is from a broken down wall that I will rebuild between the stump and the fence post (2 ft or so retaining wall). The orchard will be elevated a bit (pic is from 2nd floor). Between the little garden path and the edge of the property is roughly 20 feet; a bit more as the path angles away. Also, the norway maple here will be removed. The remaining trees along the property line will shade the rear of the orchard ('dappled'), but as the sun moves around all should receive plenty of sun until late afternoon. I intend to plant trees in a sort of triangle. What is the optimal spacing? I've read plenty about cramming them in there (backyard culture) but I'd prefer to keep them well spaced for air circulation, disease mitigation and just general appearance. I think with 10' there will still be opportunity for the trees to fill in nicely. I could go up to 15' if recommended. I don't want them too far apart, however. Hoping for a cohesive 'look.'

The trees in question are elephant heart plum, harcot apricot and redhaven peach.

I've read here that the plum is the most tolerant of some shade, so planning on putting that back and to the right. I also see that this will need a pollinator, so that leaves room for me put another (Santa Rosa?) back there as well (or, I might learn how to graft which could be fun).

I believe if properly pruned the peach should have a more horizontal habit, while the apricot should be more 'open vase' and vertical? If so, I think that puts the peach front right (roughly right side of stone pile) and apricot back and to the left (left side of pile). This would create a bit of a layered effect.

It's very difficult for me to picture how all this will look, being unfamiliar with how these trees should look, if properly cared for, in ten or more years. My googling shows me many young trees for sale and many ancient, overgrown trees, but none that look to have the perfect habit for me to visualize the eventual results. I suppose a trip to a local orchard could help, but "ain't nobody got time for that." That's why I'm coming to you guys.

I welcome your thoughts and thanks for reading.

Comment (1)