SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Im kinda sadand its the birds again!

Sofor four years Ive been trying to ensure that the pair of robins I have around here all winter will come back to build their nest on top of my electric meter box on the back of my house! After they did it the first time four years ago, I added a platform so theyd have a wider place than just the top of the narrow box. Then I added a roof to protect them from the rain and snow. Last year I was successful and they built their nest in their newly completed condo!

Today they finally started adding new bedding to the nestand I went out and took it all down! Platform, roof and all! I mentioned on another thread that I need new siding for the house, and if I let them finish their remodeling and lay eggs, Im gonna have to take it down after there are eggs or chicks in the nestand I obviously cant do that! So now, for the last 3 hours, the robins have been sitting on the edge of my birdbath, 6" outside of my family room window, staring at me with a, what the h___ look! I keep apologizing to them, but it isnt working! They just keep looking in at me!

Yeah! I know theyll be ok! Theyll just go up and build a nest in one of the cottonwoods! But then they have to fend off the squirrels and blackbirds and jays! As soon as the new siding is up Ill rebuild their condo so they can keep an eye on it next winter, and Im guessing theyll be back next springbut its still kind of sad right now!

At least its gotten dark enough out now that theyve gone off to bed somewhere. Im hoping they dont start building another nest on top of the box itself tomorrow, because Im gonna have to take that down too if they do.

Any other spring bird stories around here right now?

Skybird

Comments (7)