SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olpea

I'm thinking Flat Wonderful is kinda weird.

olpea
12 years ago

This will be the first time I expect it to fruit. This Spring it bloomed right along with my other peaches and was loaded with blooms.

Shortly after bloom, when everything else was setting fruit, this tree dropped about 80% of it's blooms. I'm not complaining because I thinned it today and it took little time to thin.

I've seen a few other young peach trees do this (but not to this extent). It seems like those trees follow a pattern. They always take an extra year to start bearing (3 years instead of 2). And for the rest of their lives, they set a lighter crop every year. I wonder if these are some of the same trees that are labeled non-productive in commercial tests and are thus relegated to home production? For my part, I like trees like this. They take 1/2 the time to thin.

Another thing that's different about this tree is it's over-the-top vigor. This is the beginning of its third leaf and the base is already 3" in diameter, and that with me pruning like a banshee last summer so it didn't get too overgrown. The tree has had no supplemental N (just mulched with wood chips).

I've also noticed the fruit hangs on more than normal. Generally you can just run your hand down the shoots to knock off fruit, but you pretty much have to grab these fruitlets to remove them.

I was wondering how much space to leave b/t fruit on this one. I normally leave about a foot b/t fruits, but wondered if you could leave a little more on this tree because the fruit is smaller. I ended up thinning it to about one every 8".

Comments (29)