SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilredridinghood

I'm kinda lost, here and in my yard.....

lilredridinghood
17 years ago

I have lived on my husband's family farm for over 10 years. We built our home in a 5 acre hay field 300' from the road , so as you can imagine, I started with a big, empty plot.

Over the years, I have planted MANY things. Mostly for privacy from inlaws. It has been a real challenge because we are on a very windy hill with some clay soils. I have lost many plants like my darling evergreens that I thought were so promising....

My problem is that I really didn't know what to plant when I started out. And lost precious time that I could have been getting some shade and privacy by now. Also, the front field must remain open for horses. SO, I have to plant just near the front of my house, along the sides and about an acre in the back. Plus, being on a hill, it's tough to really get coverage. I always feel I need to plant either close to me, or close to what or WHO I want privacy from. This irritates the hubby and inlaws.

I have 3 good sized flowering pear trees maybe 15'-20', 4 birch trees, same height, some dwarf fuit trees and a flowering crab, 2 maples, many kinds of shrubs, rose of sharon and althea, forsythia, weigela, mock orange, rhododendrons, trumpet vine, ivy, and many others and perennials and bulbs, but many plants are actually in my landscape. (I wanted some insulation from the brutal winter winds.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is.... My yard looks messy, spread out and the sporatically placed plants annoy my husband terribly. He is used to living on an empty farm and detests my planting anything. However, I am very different than he and I simply must get some privacy. I love the look of a country cottage, but having started from scratch, well I'm exhausted. I think if I could get it figured out, I could actually have an easier time mowing smaller grassy areas in my gardens rather than around things planted here and there. But, like I said my yard is huge.

I have a small courtyard area beside my buildings that I use for my area to relax (my only true privacy at all) and am putting in a greenhouse there this spring. I usually start things there since the wind is less harsh near buildings and pull them out once they are good sized. But, one of my inlaws is building right next to it in a few weeks, YIKES! So, my planting fury has begun yet again! To give you an idea of the situation, Just yesterday, I planted forsythia in a long row closing off the "path" that everyone uses right in my front yard. I mean there is no respect here. 20 feet away is about 3 acres to keep a path in, but the inlaws drive everything through my yard within 30' of my front steps! Lawn tractors, 4 wheelers, even trucks, tractors and cars! They think I am stupid and crazy and would mow everything down if they could. My husband put in ugly chain link in the back covering an acre. I hate it and he want to remove it, but it is the only area that I know no one will be driving through. Plus the inlaw moving next to me has a girlfriend and they have 5 kids and the kids just keep coming over here to wander around. I know it sounds mean, but I don't know them and don't want to and don't want them in my yard. I live 300' from the road for a reason. So you know, I have 3 brother in laws, 3 wives or temporary girlfriends, a mother in law who hates me and 8 kids living around here. TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT!

I feel so desperate! I think I need to plant some hybrid willow immediately and some Giant Thuja Green Giants. Because whatever I do, I usually lose half and the large area I need to fill is about 200'! I already have literally thousands invested. I know many people hate the willow, but I can always use it temporarily and I'm sure my husband won't mind one day brush hogging it down and dowsing it with brush killer if necessary.

BTW, I just got 2 Royal Paulownias, 3 Clump birch, another Bradford pear, a tulip poplar, 3 hybrid poplars and a silver lace vine. And, I have endless white dogwoods, maples and sassafrass growing wild around farm.

If anyone has ideas on how to pull it all together, please let me know. Instead of getting a country cottage yard, I feel like I have a big sporatic mess.

I know I probably sound like a nasty woman, but I really am not. I just have teenage kids and a truck driving husband and I am a person who enjoys their privacy without the everyday drama from the inlaws. If I let these inaws and kids free access to my yard, they will be here everyday tromping through my flowers and borrowing my tools. I've already almost raised my own children and just want to be able to garden in peace. Maybe I should just move! LOL!

Thanks so much for any insight!

Comments (9)

Sponsored