SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

fish farming - missing the boat?

digit
16 years ago

I know we have some pond gardeners here and a comment by David about his life-experiences got me thinking about something. Does David still have fish?? Also, there was that recent trip to Costco and a box of breaded fish fillets . . . .

My sunshed sits nearly empty each Summer. Oh, there have been a row or 2 of basil in there but that's mostly to take advantage of the growing space and the fact that we can put things that can really take the heat directly in front of the plastic south wall. In the Fall, a few potted herbs migrate in and take up residence. The intent there is only to protect them from severe freezing. They aren't growing and I'm not even putting them out in the sunnier and more exposed area where the plants would be more difficult to protect from the cold. Until the furnace is turned on in March, the sunshed has more-or-less sat idle for 9 months!

The package of fillets from Costco was tilapia. I've had tilapia before - baked. Struggled a bit with the bones and . . . I'm not hugely fond of fish. The breaded fillets were much like ocean perch and tasted great!

Could I raise tilapia in my sunshed thru the Summer and into the Fall? Would it make any sense for me to even head off down this route to explore information? Taking an hour or so, I found precious little on the 'net, anyway. I don't even know where one would buy 25 or so fingerlings.

I've had beautiful gold fish before - in the house, in a tank. And, once had quite a few gorgeous bettas, so fish keeping isn't entirely unknown. But, fish farming . . . ??

Here's a little something I came across from a missionary group who send folks off to help people in tropical areas with tilapia farming. You should know that they sell set-ups for home fish farming. Part of their water filtration system using plants is somewhat familiar to me, also. I have seen and used similar systems to grow plants in commercial greenhouses.

Am I missing the boat on fish farming? Or, just out to sea?

digitS'

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquaculture & Hydroponics

Comments (25)