SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

wasp nest decoys

mstywoods
12 years ago

Already starting to see yellow jackets and/or wasps buzz'n around the house! When I was at McGuckins Hardware in Boulder a few weeks ago, I found some fake wasp nest decoys that are supposed to "scare" the wasps away as they are territorial. I didn't buy them because they were a bit pricey and they seemed rather large, and the one brand was rather ugly for using on the front porch (which is where I really need one!).

But now am reconsidering. Maybe they do work. In internet searching, it seems they mostly have gotten thumbs up reviews.

One brand, which is a little more attractive, is Wasp Bee Gone or Natural Wasp Repellent Decoy:

Another brand is the Waspinator, which is a bit smaller, but rather ugly - but I'm really not trying to please the wasps ;^), and if it really does work I suppose being ugly is ok!!:

I also found some DIY ones, like this: Homemade Wasp Nests (basically taking a paper bag, and stuffing it so it is puffed out). There was even one project that was more industrious by using that spray foam to coat a plastic bottle, and spray painting it afterwards to look more like a nest.

Not sure which way to go. Have any of you tried any of these methods?

Comments (8)