SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillp_gw

Should they stay or should they go?

JillP
19 years ago

Quince Trees. 2 of them. Lovely in the spring when flowering. Old, so nicely twisted multi-stemed trunk looks great. Provides shade for a perrenial bed, privacy from neighbors. But....by mid July the quince blight has hit big time. By mid August they are totally devoid of leaves. I have an old fruit book (1910) that says quince blight won't kill them, just looks bad. Because there are plants underneath, very hard to pick up the diseased leaves. Nobody wants the quinces. I made quince butter one year. I was the only one that would eat it. I do not want to spray it to control the blight because it has to be done fairly often, they are too big for me to do, too expensive to hire someone, and I try to garden organically. So should I take them out and plant something else? But then there is the uniquenss, at least in my area. Nobody else around has them, they are original to the house (built in '22), I just feel obligated to keep them. Oh yeah, they sucker like crazy. Geeze, just writing it all down makes me feel that they have to go. So, would you keep them or remove them? and if you did remove them, what trere would you reccommend I replace them with? Looking at small ornimental trees, or even larger shrubs. I am open to all suggestions. There is a Douglas fir to the west, Blue Boy and girl holly and japanese maple to east, privat hedge to the north, and lawn to the south. Under plantings are variety of common shade loving perrenials (l-of-v, hostas, etc.).

I was going to post this on trees, but thought I would get a better response here. I am leaning toward large tree like lilacs, but not the tree lilac, different animal. These quinces are along the privit hedge that I am afraid new neighbors are going to remove, so I am thinking about creating a mixed shrub border.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions