SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironhat2

Reserarching Backyard Nursery, need advice!

ironhat2
18 years ago

Hey guys,

I have found 2 threads on backyard nurseries posted over the last few months. In both threads, I have found "gems" of information that I plan to follow up on. It was suggested I might post a new question, rather than follow up on the last one that didn't seem to go so well.

I am not a true professional like many of you. But I do have 10 acres of property that I had once considered putting a Christmas tree farm on long years back. I did all my research and tried to look for all the pitfalls in a business venture of that type. About the time I was going to gear up and go, the market fell out from under that type of tree farm, and I let the idea die a quite death.

Over the last few months I have again considered starting a home based business on my property, but this time as a small nursery for trees and shrubs. I have called myself doing a feasibility study of the nursery business in our area/state, and the chances of competeing with established nurseries. I have been all over the internet, gathering data from different universities across the country, on differnt aspects of growing plants in a nursery setting. I have also purchase a number of books, new and old, on subject matter of this nature to help me. But I am a newbee/novice to all this. I have taken in all this data, and while it was compiled by "learned" persons, I still would like to know if my conclusions are realistic.

If there is any intrest in continuing discussing "starting a backyard nursery" type thread, I would like to ask a few simple questions.

Dan

Comments (79)

Sponsored