SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelstar_gw

Need help & advice for backyard privacy hedge

kelstar
10 years ago

Hi all!
I have a big backyard here is So Cal (zone 9) that needs help. My main current project is privacy for our backyard. We live on a slight slope though it is not terribly noticeable except that our neighbors house sits higher and can see into our backyard. I wish to FIX this. Our block wall is 6 ft high and runs a length of roughly 80 feet. Picture to illustrate. I have a planting space against the wall that is 80 ft long by 50 inches deep (or a little more than 4 ft). Filled with river rock currently and palm trees (I want the palms out) as shown. Just past this area is a slab foundation and the pool. So that said here are my factors- looking for a privacy hedge that meets this criteria:
-Over 6 feet tall (maybe around 8-10)
-Does not have roots that can lift or destroy foundation
-Is not messy (since its right by the pool)
-is not poisonous (we have two large dogs)
-Prefer something green or at least full foliage year round
-can take full sun * hopefully not too water intensive
-does not attract bees
-resistant to disease/mites, etc
Wow... I know lots of criteria. Maybe I am asking for too much? I do believe there may be something out there for me but not sure what. A landscaper recommended privet but in doing my own research I found it to violate some of my criteria (particularly the poisonous part) and ficus nitida was looking good BUT I see a crash course towards foundation destruction with that.
I APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS =)
This is our first home, we got it as a foreclosure so most of the yard and plants were dead or near death when we arrived.
Kelly

Comments (9)