SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samantha_jean18

Backyard - advice needed for privacy

Samantha Jean
7 years ago

Hi all!

We are looking to make our backyard a tad more private. We live on a corner lot in a subdivision, so I know it will never be super private. Unfortunately for landscaping and privacy, the land slopes away from the home so our 4 foot fence looks like a 2 foot fence in the privacy sense.

Also because of the slope, wet spring and summers result in standing water near the back fenceline which has killed some of our neighbors landscaping. It also may have played a factor into 2 of the 3 bushes dying by the electrical boxes. You can also see that our back neighbors trees aren't doing great.

SO. We are looking for what to plant that would do okay back there. I should mention that in dry summers like last, there's not water back there. We are having a hard time finding landscaping that does okay in both conditions. We are in the Chicago suburbs so hardiness 5B I believe. Also don't want anything super tall and would prefer nothing that produces fruits our dogs would try to eat. Also, any recommendations for bushes by the electrical boxes is appreciated.

We would prefer faster growing trees/landscaping, but are willing to be patient as well.

Thank you!!

Comments (10)