SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nixta_gw

Startying a Backyard Nursery from Scratch

Nixta
12 years ago

I am going to start my own small nursery and I am looking for some more information to help me get started. I have already read other threads on the same topic, so I'm going to be as specific as I can here with my goals and questions. My biggest goal the first year is to gain experience. I don't anticipate making much money, or possibly breaking even with my setup costs. I am 21 and have a long time to learn. Hopefully this will be the first step in starting the nursery business I've been dreaming of for three years.

First, I live in CT and our last frost is around May 15- June 3. I have a few perennials that I have sold and will continue to grow, but I would like to grow annuals for sale in spring next year. I am going to build a greenhouse and I anticipate having about 200 square feet of growing space. Once the greenhouse is up, I will calculate how many plants I can reasonably grow. I took a peek around the neighborhood and noticed that the most popular annuals are impatiens, French marigolds, and red geraniums, so these are the plants I wish to grow. I also noticed that most people grow these in patio pots that they probably replant every season. I have decided on the 'Patriot' variety of geranium and found a grower that sells rooted and unrooted cuttings. I am opting for rooted cuttings to diminish the chance of failure since I have not had much luck rooting cuttings of my own geraniums. The impatiens and marigolds I will grow from seed. When should I order the geraniums and sow the impatiens and marigolds so they will be ready to be planted in early June? Also, what pests should I be prepared for that are common problems with these plants?

Also, the environment is incredibly important to me, so I have decided to stay as eco friendly as I can. I am looking for nursery pots and trays that are made from sustainable resources (so no plastic and no peat). My favorite option is coco pots, but there are currently no coco options to replace the plastic six packs that are so popular. I have personal reasons for avoiding cowpots, but I will consider them if they turn out to be the best decision. Does anyone have any suggestions for other biodegradable pots? I want to grow the impatiens and marigolds in 6 packs and the geraniums in 4 inch pots. I am not going to be using labels for each individual pot because I am growing very well known plants. Instead I will make signs that will indicate which plants are which for when I have the plants on display. For those of you who run your own nurseries, what is in your trash bins? I want to avoid any waste that cannot be composted or recycled.

As far as where I plan to sell, I do not live in an area that would make a good retail location, so I plan on selling plants at local farmer's markets, and at a massive tag sale held by a campground that I camp in every season. I will also sell some plants directly from my campsite like I have been doing with my perennials.

I'm sure there are other things I should add, but my mind is drawing a blank right now. Please keep your answers constructive. I am a new poster, but from other threads I've read here, it seems a great number of you are guilty of nasty, sarcastic comments directed at people who are just looking for help and advice. Truth be told, it has deterred me from posting in here for the better part of two years.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting