SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigerdawn_gw

When to start cool weather seeds

tigerdawn
14 years ago

This is the first year I'm going to try a cool weather spring garden. I'm planning to grow cabbage, lettuce, radishes and peas. I have a good mix of cold and heat tolerant lettuces and can sow them throughout the season. I'm planning to do the peas in succession as well. I've done peas before. But I have absolutely no experience with radishes and cabbage.

When can I start the seeds? Or rather, when SHOULD I start the seeds? I tend to rush spring a little (a lot) so I need a not-before date. :^)

I have the Ferry's Round Dutch Cabbage seed that matures in 71 days and claims to be more cold tolerant than other cabbage but I don't know what that means really. Should I plant them in batches? I have about 3 things I can do with cabbage so I don't need 10 heads at once! How long do they keep? How can I tell if they're ripe? Do they get 'ripe'? Do they keep in the garden or in the fridge better? Should I try to save seeds?

I also have Cherry Bell radish seeds. They mature in 22 days so I assume I should plant these in succession too. I didn't like the flavor as a kid but I hope my tastes have changed. DH has never eaten one and I think he might like the bite they have. I have similar questions with these. How do I tell when they're ready? Can they stay in the ground even after they're ready? How long do they stay good in the fridge? On the counter? Is it a good idea to save the seeds of this variety?

Oh look, I started rambling! I am so ready for spring and I want the snow to melt so I can plant things! I know that's not wise but I still want to!! At least I have my greenhouse I can put a little bit in. And I'm still talking... LOL!

Maybe I'll plant a radish in the greenhouse tomorrow...

Comments (2)