SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourhappyhome1

Flowers in the Potager Garden

ourhappyhome
16 years ago

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but not to GardenWeb. What an awesome place! I think I've definitely found my new hang-out. I grow figs, heirloom tomatoes and a few other fruits and veggies. I have a large yard, but very little space for gardening because my DH thinks vegetable gardens are unattractive and belong in the country. That is why I can appreciate the Potager garden. They are so beautiful and look perfectly suited for my situation.

My question is regarding the many beautiful flowers that I've seen in your gardens. Do you actually grow them from seed each year or do you purchase them? I'd like to try growing some from seed but I want to make sure whatever I grow will flower this season. I have lots of flower seed but not many of those listed for the Potager garden (I have echinacea, sunflowers, zinnias, poppies and petunias). Is there a reason why certain varieties of flowers are grown? I'd really like to use what I already have on hand and maybe include some dwarf dahlias. The little area I'd like to plant is adjacent to the street. Its a prepared circular bed (30'diameter). The only way I can pull this off is to make it appear as a flower bed/garden and hide my veggies in the middle. Wish I could post pics.

Thanks for your help!

April

Comments (13)

Sponsored