SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Zone 6A, potager garden

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I have been a user of the GW Kitchen forum for about 18 months. As our reno project draws near an end, my thoughts turn to the outside. Like almost all renos, we are way over budget and I am so tired of writing big checks all the time.

I have a landscape plan for the property, done by the same person I used for my last house. I do not want to implement it now because 1) It would be well into six figures and we have already over-improved 2) I may buy some neighboring land which would change the driveway design, a major part of the expense 3) i would like to live in our house a while to see how we use the property and 4) I loved the work he did for us last time, but I am starting to think his style may not suit my new house.

For now, I am attacking two areas. A bed near my front walk, and a fenced potager style garden. (see photo)

I would like the potager garden for veggies. I don't know what's realistic in my zone, but lettuces, herbs, carrots, beets, cukes, green beans would all interest me (im assuming tomatoes are for containers elsewhere on the property). I's also like it for cutting flowers. I have hydrangeas, but also love peonies, delphinium, stock. We have gardening help that has been with the property 15+ years. Higher maintenance plants are not a deterrent. The area is approx 25x32 overall, laid out in four "L" beds, four rectangles, and four barrels.

On the kitchen forum, people post proposed layouts all the time, or just open space, and others are extraordinarily helpful in designing layouts. What is appropriate here? Do people do similar things? What other information should i provide if I am looking for help?

Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:30915}}

Comments (7)