SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zmat

Rock garden with succulents (zone 6a) - how to create a base?

zmat
6 years ago

Hi all! I'm in a desperate need of advice. I reside in Michigan (zone 6a).

We have a strip of dirt along the side of the house that barely gets any rain because of an overhang. The soil is very loose there, like dust. I want to create a rock garden and plant hens and chicks and sedums in this strip. I've randomly placed the large rocks we had and now need to fill in the gaps with smaller stone and maybe pea gravel.

I know that all the small stones will sink right in that loose dirt. Can I use landscaping fabric under rocks to prevent them from sinking in? I've only put some in front of the basement windows to prevent dirt splashing. Weeds have not been a big issue here because of the lack of rain. I'm afraid that succulents will not be able to spread if I cover the whole area with fabric.

Would some sort of mulch or cedar chips work instead of fabric? I am afraid it would stay wet in the winter after it snows, though.

I have no clue how to arrange rocks either and the mounding technique will not work here. It's a long strip of dirt and my pictures only show half of the area under question.

Thanks!

Comments (13)