SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

What Tomatoes Grew Well For You in 2008?

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

It's that time of the year and I am making my list of tomato seeds to start in late Jan. or early Feb. So, of course, I am curious: what tomatoes grew well for you in 2008? Conversely, which ones didn't?

I'll tell you about mine, and I hope you'll tell me about yours. I don't keep notes, so this is all from memory so I may forget some, but I think I remember most of them.

And, for anyone who is newer to the forum, most people who post here had a very wet, humid, rainy growing season in 2008. On the other hand, I had drought. So, our responses are, as always, greatly influenced by the weather.

Here's the 2008 results from my veggie garden:

For Tomatoes Grown In The Ground:

CHERRY/GRAPE/CURRANT TYPES:

Black Cherry--huge monster plants, 8' to 9' tall and 3' to 4' wide. Absolutely covered in blooms and fruit the entire season. Very drought tolerant.

Coyote--produced well under the circumstances

Dr. Carolyn--produced well considering the drought

Husky Red Cherry--did better in containers than in the ground, which is sort of odd, but the containers probably held moisture long. Very disease resistance and heavy foliage provides good cover for the tomatoes. Taste was all right, but skin tougher than I like.

Husky Gold Cherry--nothing special in the ground and also better in containers. Very good producer in extreme heat and drought but tough-skinned. Some of the skin toughness probably could be attributed to the drought.

Ildi--great yellow grape tomatoes on a medium-sized plant. Did great until the heat got to it in July.

Orange Santa--produced well and plants stayed very healthy even after the high water bill caused me to stop watering. Made it from July-September on minimal moisture. One of our favorites for the dehydrator.

Snow White--had foliar disease issues and died midsummer, but the taste still makes it worth growing.

SunGold--simply one of the best cherried ever. Large healthy plants loaded with tasty fruit. Production slowed only slightly after I stopped watering.

Tess' Land Race Currant--new and amazing. Plant was huge, at least as tall as Black Cherry, and much wider. Produced tiny, tasty currant tomatoes until November, even producing on lower foliage after upper foliage froze.

PASTE TOMATOES:

Grandma Mary's Paste--average

Jersey Devil--Was in fairly unimproved soil on the very edge of the veggie garden and didn't impress. Might do better in better soil or better weather.

Martino's Roma--best producer on compact plants, but flavor is not as good as San Marzano Redorta.

Principe' Borghese--great producer but nothing special taste-wise if eaten fresh. The ONLY reason to grow these is so you can sun-dry or oven-dry them which concentrates the flavor.

San Marzano Redorta--the best-flavored paste tomato in our garden by far and produces well in heat/drought

Viva Italia VFFNA--better than average, but not much

Burpee's Big Mama--huge plants with huge loads of only average-tasting roma-type tomatoes.

BEEFSTEAK/SLICING TYPES:

Since I grow so many of these, instead of making comments about each and every one, which would take forever, I thought I'd try grouping them into categories.

THE BEST:

Produced very well, stayed healthy, and had tasty fruit:

Better Bush

Brandy Boy

Bush Big Boy

Bushsteak

Cherokee Green

Earl's Faux

Indian Stripe (Almost identical to Cherokee Purple, but better flavor and a heavier producer.)

Momotaro (Amazing flavor and productivity.)

Mortgage Lifter, Estler's

Nebraska Wedding

Neve's Azorean Red

Prime Time

Ramapo F-1

Royal Hillbilly (My, oh my, better than Hillbilly.)

Stump of the World

Supersonic

Tennessee Britches

True Black Brandywine [Best new (to us) one in 2008]

Valena Pink

The following performed well, gave us good yields of tasty fruit, and tolerated the drought and heat better than the average tomato:

Better Boy

Beefmaster

Beefsteak

Big Beef

Black Krim (though not as productive as in previous years)

Brandywine Sudduth

Buck's County

Cherokee Purple

Cuostralee

Little Brandywine

Little Lucky

Lucky Cross

Marianna's Peace

Mortgage Lifter Red

Pruden's Purple

Zogola

These tomato plants struggled for one reason or another. Some froze to the ground when we had a late freeze on May 3rd. (Our average last freeze in Love County is, theoretically, March 27th.) Some had disease issues. Some grew but didn't set fruit well, or the fruit just weren't that tasty. Some will get another chance another year. Some won't.

Aunt Gertie's Gold

Aunt Ginny's Purple

Caspian Pink

Cherokee Chocolate

Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red

Debbie

Extreme Bush

Fourth of July

German Johnson

Husky Gold (in the ground)

Husky Pink (in the ground)

Husky Red (in the ground)

Kellogg's Breakfast

Mortgage Lifter

Mortgage Lifter VFN

Polish Dwarf

Porterhouse (NOT the plant's fault. The deer ate it down to the ground 3 tmes and it came back all three times and did produce a limited amount of tasty tomatoes. It does just fine when the deer can't get to it.) By far the deers' favorite tomato plant. LOL

Rio Grande

Sunray

These did great in containers. They produced well as long as I remembered to water daily from mid-June through mid-Oct.

Better Bush

Grape

Husky Red

Husky Red Cherry

Husky Gold Cherry

New Big Dwarf

Ramapo F-1

Because of the drought/heat in our area, I didn't do a fall planting. (Started the plants for fall and grew them almost to transplant size, but threw them on the compost pile instead of planting them once I realized I couldn't afford to water them and keep them going in the drought conditions.) Thus, there is nothing to report on the hybrids bred to produce in the heat, the Livingston varieties or the longkeepers.

The most impressive new (either brand new in our garden, or I've tried them once or twice before but not with memorable results) varieties in 2008 were: True Black Brandywine, Indian Stripe (did well in previous attempt, and much better this year), Royal Hillbilly, Momotaro, Ramapo F-1, Supersonic, and Tess' Land Race Currant. All of these will be back in 2009.

OK, I want to hear from y'all about your results. I'm always on the lookout for new (to me) varieties to try. And, in case you are wondering, no, it is not possible to grow "too many tomatoes".

Dawn

Comments (8)