SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2008 Tomato Grow List

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

I have been planning and dreaming, and have finished the first version of my tomato variety list for this year. I'll be starting seeds inside sometime this month.

Here's what I'm planning on growing in my Spring tomato garden:

CHERRY/GRAPE/CURRANT TYPE:

Black Cherry

Coyote

Dr. Carolyn

Husky Red Cherry

Ildi

Orange Santa

Snow White

Sungold

Sweet Million

PASTE TYPE:

Grandma Mary's Paste

Jersey Devil

Martino's Roma

Principe' Borghese

San Marzano Redorta

Viva Italia VFFNA

BEEFSTEAK/SLICER TYPE:

Aunt Gertie's Gold

Aunt Ginny's Purple

Beefmaster

Beefsteak

Better Boy

Better Bush

Big Beef

Black Krim

Brandy Boy

Brandywine (Sudduth's)

Bucks County

Bush Big Boy

Bushsteak

Caspian Pink

Cherokee Chocolate

Cherokee Green

Cherokee Purple

Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red

Cuostralee

Debbie

Early Girl

Earl's Faux

Fourth of July

German Johnson

Indian Stripe

Kellogg's Breakfast

Little Brandywine

Little Lucky

Lucky Cross

Marianna's Peace

Momotaro

Mortgage Lifter

Mortgage Lifter VFN

Mortgage Lifter Estler's

Mortgage Lifter Red

Nebraska Wedding

Neve's Azorean Red

New Big Dwarf

Porterhouse

Pruden's Purple

Rio Grande

Stump of the World

Zogola

That's it for the spring garden....unless some plant I see somewhere tempts me to try squeezing in "just one more"....or unless I lose my mind and order some more seed.

And, in case you are wondering, I have some different ones that I will plant in late spring/early summer for a fall harvest, but those are the heat-lovers and the long-keepers.

Of the varieties on my list, I have grown all but 10 of them before. Thus, to a certain extent, this is a "favorites" list as I am experimenting with a lot fewer new varieties this year. I'm planting roughly 60% heirlooms and 40% hybrids.

Also, I usually go mostly with plants that produce mid-sized fruit because they produce much better in our heat. Much, much better. However, with it being an El Nino year, and in the expectation that we'll receive lots of rain, I've deliberately selected quite a few plants that produce very large tomatoes, often in the 1 to 3 lb. range.

IF I had limited space and could only grow 10 or 12 plants, I wouldn't have but one or two plants that produce the really big tomatoes simply because some years they don't make a large quantity of fruit. Since I have the space available, though, I'm going to see if the big ones will do well for me this year, as they did in 2000 and 2001.

And, no, there are not any oxhearts on the list. For me, they do not produce enought fruit per plant to make growing them worthwhile.

What's everyone else going to grow? And, if you think I am missing a really top-notch variety that I ought to be growing, tell me about it!

My theory is that you can never have too many tomatoes.

Dawn

Comments (21)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner