SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2012 Tomato Grow List

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
12 years ago

I've been waiting for the drought outlook to improve so I could add a lot of my favorite varieties to this list, but that seems unlikely, so I guess I'll go with a bare bones (for me) tomato growing plan for 2012.

Last year, I made a very deliberate choice to not plant tomatoes in containers (except for the early ones purchased and transplanted into containers in Feb.) because of the constant watering needed to keep them happy in our climate in the worst drought summers. Then, I found it almost impossible to keep in-ground tomatoes moist enough, and I was wishing I'd planted a lot in containers. So, this year the pendulum has swung the other way and I am planting a lot in containers and will put them on a drip irrigation system with a timer. This actually is a great time to experiment with tomatoes in containers because Vegetalis and a few other companies have been busy developing lots of downsized tomato plants for containers, particularly cascading ones.

So, here's the downsized list. I reserve the right to drastically enlarge this list if wet, liquid stuff suddenly starts falling from the sky with consistency before transplanting time arrives.

If known, estimated DTMs are in parentheses after the variety name.

* = bite-sized tomatoes or some, like Mountain Magic, that are slightly larger than bite-sized. I grow a lot of these because they produce well in the heat, and I dehydrate them for year-round enjoyment long after the fresh tomato season has ended. Bite-sized tomatoes include cherry, currant, and grape types.

FOR CONTAINERS:

1. *Rambling Stripe Red (60)

2. *Rambling Stripe Gold (60)

3. *Tumbling Tom Red (63)

4. *Tumbling Tom Yellow (63)

5. *Tumbling Tom Yellow Jr. (63)

6. *Pear Drops (55)

7. *Cherry Falls (60)

8. *Terrenzo (63)

9. *Lizzano (63)

10. Sweet-N-Neat Yellow (60)

11. Sweet-N-Neat Red (60)

12. *Red Robin (55)

13. *Orange Pixie (52)

14. *Yellow Canary (55)

15. Little Sun (62)

16. Totem (70)

17. Early Doll (55)

18. Bush Goliath (55)

19. New Big Dwarf (60)

20. Tasmanian Chocolate

21. Rosella Purple

IN-GROUND PLANTS

Bite Sized:

22. *Mountain Magic (72)

23. *Black Cherry (68)

24. *SunGold (57)

25. *Ildi (68)

26. *Matt's Wild Cherry (55)

27. *Tess's Land Race Currant (70)

Early:

28. Fourth of July (49)

29. Goliath (65)

30. Cluster Goliath (65)

Mid:

31. Phoenix (72)

32. Celebration (72)

33. Celebrity (70)

34. Jaune Flammee' (70)

35. Pruden's Purple (70)

36. Gary O Sena (70-75)

37. Fioletovyi Kruglyi (75)

38. JD's Special C-Tex (75)

39. Carmello (75)

Late:

40. Stump of the World (80-85)

41 Mortgage Lifter (80)

42. Traveler 76 (76-78)

43. Dora (80-85)

44. Burpee's Big Boy (78)

45. Brandy Boy (78-80)

46. Big Beef (78)

Processing:

47. San Marzano Redorta (78)

48. Astro (70-75)

48. Scatalone (75)

49. Santa Clara Canner (80)

50. Heidi (75)

51. Speckled Roman (75)

52. Rutgers Original Strain (75)

53. Principe' Borghese (78)

54. Roma VF (75)

There's a lot of favorite heirlooms I won't be growing this year because they just do not produce very well in extreme heat like we had last year.

I also have very few with DTMs over 78 days because it is important to get fruitset relatively early in hot, dry years before the temps are high enough day and night to impede fertilization. Last year we got that hot really early, so this year I picked the varieties most likely to beat the heat.

Most of the experimental, aka new-to-me, varieties this year are in the containers.

This list doesn't include the early, purchased plants I put into containers in February, since I can't be sure what they'll be until I see what arrives in the stores.

OK, y'all, I showed you my list. Now show me yours.

A separate veggie list will follow in a day or two on a different thread, and the flower and herb list will be along eventually.

Dawn

Comments (94)