SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xinnia317

Perennials collapsing and dying

xinnia317
16 years ago

We just finished a major landscaping job. Contractor brought in new 'mushroom' soil for the beds, tilled, incorporated fertilizer, planted perennials and shrubs, and spread mulch. This all happened in July so we've been diligent about watering because it has been dry- with a combination of soaker hoses and sprinklers if very hot. Our garden is mostly woodland shade/part shade. We've been losing a few plants to something I call 'root rot'. The plant seem to be doing fine - but then rather suddenly they collapse from the roots up, almost 'melt' and die. This happened to some of the sweet woodruff, lamium and brunnera. Plants adjacent look fine now - but I'm worried - there is a signficant investment here and since we got plants from wholesaler they are not warranted. Are we doing something wrong (too much water?), is the soil or mulch contaminated (there are lots of mushrooms growing), are the plants infected? I had this happen a few years ago with some columbines - put them in healthy, mulched, watered and they collapsed from the roots up and died (and never came back). I don't see bugs except the occasional japanese beetle - but they just make a few holes in the leaves and there are not swarms of them. One of the sweet woodruffs showed up with this 'syndrome' and we did not plant it. I'm worried this might be 'contagious'.

Comments (2)