SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zqueen92

Is there hope for my Oklahoma redbud?

zqueen
9 years ago

In 2008, After our Dec, '07 ice event in Tulsa, I planted an Oklahoma redbud and a Chinese pistache. By this year, most of my Bermuda grass was dead from too much shade, and I had to replace it with zoysia sod at the end of June.

Establishing zoysia requires a TON of watering, especially in July. I was able to cut back on the watering in August, but my poor redbud has been yellowing and shedding its leaves all summer. It currently still has some green leaves but the canopy is quite thin. I assume that all that watering has been suffocating my tree, though I thought with the more normal watering cycle in August it might start to look a little better. I did have an arborist examine the tree for disease; he said it was ok.

My question is this: Is my redbud doomed? How will I know, or do I need to wait and see what happens next spring? My bias is to wait until spring. (The funny thing is, my pistache hasn't turned a hair during this and looks terrific as well as a desert willow that I put in 2 years ago.)

Comments (7)