SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

What did I do? WHY so many spidermites?

joannemb
13 years ago

Ok, I am a newbie gardener, but like anything I do.... I dive in head first and completely immerse myself in it. So, I've read and learned (and planted) a TON this year. Lots of plants/shrubs in mass.... boxwood hedge, limelight hydrangea hedge, hosta edging.... I knew gardening wouldn't be easy---I knew it would be work. I love it... I actually enjoy the digging, planting, watering, weeding, etc. But what I didn't expect was to be battling so many insects! I feel like I have to be part detective to figure out what the heck is eating this plant, that plant etc.

I have new guinea impatiens on my porch, and after a month of trying to figure out... is it a fungus? Too much light? Not enough water? Too much water? Finally figured out it was spider mites. Ok---so I treated with a pesticide and am doing maintainance with insecticidal soap. They are slowly recovering. Then I noticed it on the boxwoods. I have 40 of them. Ugh! NOW, my limelight hydrangeas have them.

I know I have to work on "watering deeply"-- and I think that I might have stressed the plants out making them suceptible to the spidermites. But what else? What else could I have done to prevent this? Should I be treating all of my shrubs with a protective pesticide in the Spring? What do you all do? I feel like I'm the only one with 'issues' with my plants---things are so easy for my neighbor who doesn't follow any gardening rules at all---just digs, plops in roots down, waters, and is done.

I've never got into gardening because I've always felt like I had a brown thumb. Now I'm in knee deep and I love it.... and things ARE actually growing.... but I still feel like I'm still a day late and a dollar short.

Advice? Insight? :)

Comments (12)