SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sgrizzle

Haunted by old landscaping

sgrizzle
17 years ago

A couple of years ago, my wife and I bought a house with many nice features. Terraced landscaping, mature trees, and a huge courtyard enclosed in iron&stone. What we did not know is that the landscaping and gardening had not been done (or even maintained) by the seller, but by the person who owned the house before her.

Despite our best efforts we find ourself with defunct landscaping wishing we had a plain yard. The only thriving plants are monkey grass, yuca's and one cactus the size of a KIA. The Monkey Grass I have tried digging up, chemically treating, and yelling at to no avail. It is choking everything else, claiming one grown tree last year and trying to kill a second this year. Also, all of the terracing was done with railroad ties that have now formed some sort of rotted wood/mud structure that is basically worthless and tough to remove.

I just got the dead tree and Cactus hauled off. I'm beginning to think the Yuca's have 30ft deep roots and that monkey grass is an alien invasion force. I find myself spending a weekened and maybe reclaiming 6ft of my front yard, only to have the yard take half of it back in a week.

Should I

A. Try some harsher chemical to try and kill everything

B. Buy a backhoe (like I could afford that)

C. Find a landscaping crew of 30

D. Move

My courtyard area is in a simlar situation, monkey grass, rock, and bushes that grow faster than my grass does.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can turn the tides on this one? I would be happy if I could at least get everything out and sodded for under $1000 so I could start fresh.

Comments (7)