SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulimichelle

Removing front lawn with old landscape fabric underneath?

paulimichelle
4 years ago

Hello, my husband and I bought our house about a year ago and I have been getting really interested in landscaping. Right now we just have a simple front lawn with grass which is a little uneven and scraggly, so I decided I wanted to make it look nice and add some flower beds. I started digging up the grass in some areas and discovered that about 5-6 inches down, under what seems like the entire front lawn, there is old landscape fabric! The grass and weeds have started growing into the fabric so it is really stuck in there, I can't easily just pull the fabric out and cut it up. It is a mess, and the soil underneath is like a pale wet clay texture. I decided I want to pull up the whole front lawn essentially and start over to make the soil healthy again and re-seed the grass. What is the easiest way to do this? I have just been pulling it up with regular garden tools like a hoe and the thing with the spikes on it (I don't know what it's called! lol) but this is back-breaking work and I'm getting tired. Would I be able to use a sod-cutter to remove the grass on top? Or would that be a bad idea to do with the fabric underneath? Thanks!

Comments (6)