SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
williammorgan

Worms eating all of my potatoes

williammorgan
11 years ago

I purchased new top toil this year for a raised bed. I added cow manure, lobster compost and fertilizer(espoma)and hilled up once and then added straw. I planted at the beginning of April and the potatoes were up around mid month. They never did really look to great. As I checked to see if seeds were coming up I found wireworms and as I now try to check the potatoes I find some white worm peeking in and out of the potatoes. I don't know if it's the larvae of a wireworm or another but all the potatoes have little holes in them.

Question is what can I do to eradicate the worms? I'm looking for an organic solution. I don't live on a farm so I can abandon the bed. I've read of setting up traps to get the worms to gather but if they're everywhere what good would that do?

Also is there anyway to salvage the potatoes now to use for seed potatoes? Could I put them in a bucket of water and the worms would leave? Or would the potatoes just eventually rot anyway?

Sorry no pictures. They would be hard to photograph anyway because they are the same color as the potatoes.

Comments (4)