SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starlizard

I must have the weirdest backyard birds ever.

StarLizard
12 years ago

Alright. First it was the squirrels. They are very picky little eaters, I have to say. They would much on my carrot leaves, basil, strawberries and dig up seeds all over. I took care of that with repellent (nothing harmful, although the fishy smell is almost enough to keep ME away).

We thought that problem was solved. The (some of the) carrot plants regrew leaves after being munched down 3 or 4 times. We thought we were in the clear. But it was not to be.

A couple of cardinals have established residence in the neighborhood. I used to love cardinals, what with the colors and beautiful sounds. Not anymore.

I do not understand this behavior at all. Other birds are content to dig for worms. The cardinals are chopping off leaves. Not eating them. Not using them for nesting. Just chopping them off and leaving them to wilt on the garden bed. They also seem to be picky: they only attack the carrots (my poor carrots cannot take much more abuse), the dill, the parsley and (this I really do not understand) the jalapeno plant. Not the fruit - just snipping off leaves.

I read somewhere that snakes were a good deterrent, and as I kindof like my dog and my kids, I went for the fake ones. I cut out two pieces of thick electrical wire and dumped them around the plants that took the most damage, making sure to move them every now and then. The problem seems to have subsided, but today I caught the crimson destroyer in the garden again.

I can't find any information on this cardinal (as it seems to only be those birds and not the other ones around here) odd behavior, and I have a hard time fixing what I do not understand. Have any of you ever had this problem, and if so, how can you fix it? The squirrel repellent does not affect them, and short of netting the whole garden, I don't know what to do.

Hubby suggested planting aromatic herbs around the dill and the parsley (rosemary was purchased today, and if it works I'm getting some thyme, too). Will this work, or attract them even more?

BTW, I know for a fact that this is cardinals and not some other critter or larvae, because I have actually seen them in action.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Comments (4)