SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

jap beetle traps

cateyanne
16 years ago

I have a Japanese beetle problem. We had the lawn treated last year and again this year but I still am heavily infested. Up until two years ago there was no sign of these things and we have lived here for eight years. It's bad enough that they eat my roses and petunias but I put in a birch tree last fall and they are onto that now and seem to want to devour my flowering plum. I have put up a trap I got from the local nursery and I caught some right away. Every morning and evening I go around with a bowl of water and knock as many as I can off my flowers and as high as I can reach into the plum and birch(which isn't far!)My question is will this put a significant dent in the beetle population? I only have one right now in my back yard away from the flowers it likes. But the plum and my birch are in the front yard and although I'd like to put one there too since that is where the most activity is, they say not to put it too near your flowers, trees etc. that it likes to feed on. I'm not sure if I have any room to place it far enough away. And will it keep the beetles off the trees if I place the traps all in the back yard? I am surrounded on all sides by neighbors. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with these traps? the guy at the nursery also suggested "Sevin" I don't normally use pesticides on my plants but I don't know how I'd apply it to my trees anyway? Anybodys experience with these buggers is appreciated.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio