SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

OT: Hatch Chile Pepper Time!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

This is actually more about eating than gardening.

If you like to eat Hatch Chile Peppers, it is harvest time and the peppers are rolling into local stores. Yum! (Jay? Have you made the drive to NM to pick up any yet?)

Today, DH and I made the drive to Southlake, TX, to Central Market for their Hatch Chile Pepper Festival, which is occurring for the rest of this week. We brought home a few lbs. of Hatch chile peppers, both the hot and the mild versions, both roasted and unroasted, as well as various products made with Hatch Chile Peppers. (Why cook a lot in hot weather if you don't have to?)

Comfortably residing in our fridge our hot Hatch chiles roasted, hot Hatch chiles raw, mild Hatch chiles roasted and mild Hatch chiles raw. Tomorrow I'll have to decide what to do with all of them. I think I'll use some of the hot ones for salsa, and may freeze the rest for future use. Oh, might make Hatch chile pepper jelly for Tim as he tasted some at Central Market and liked it.

The products we brought home that were made with Hatch chile peppers are: Central Market's Hatch Chile Pepper/Asadero Cheese sausage in both the hot and mild versions, pre-made Hatch chile pepper hamburger patties, Hatch chile pepper buns, Apple-Hatch Chile Pepper Pie, Hatch Chile Pepper-Chocolate Brownies, Hatch Queso, and the Hatch Family Meal for Four, featuring Roasted Chicken Marinated in Hatch Chile Peppers, Double-Stuffed Hatch Chile Pepper/Cheese Potatoes, Hatch Corn Rolls and Salad.

Clearly, I could grow green Anaheim chiles, but I use my garden space for Habaneros, Jalapenos and other peppers and just make the once-a-year run to Central Market for our Hatch chile pepper fix.

There were several items we passed on, mostly because we couldn't imagine what they would taste like, or they weren't available at that moment or they were very similar to something we already have or had. They included: Hatch Marinated Steak for Fajitas, Hatch Pepper Sourdough Bread, Hatch Cheddar Pepper Loaf, Queso Quesadilla wih Hatch Peppers, Bocconcini Mozarella with Hatch Peppers, Hatch Fajita Wraps, Hatch Scones, Hatch Shrimp Burgers, abd Hatch Chile Salsa, red and green varieties (not on shelf as they failed Central Market's quality control standards).

I also brought home a bunch of free recipe cards with Hatch chile pepper recipes.

We almost bought a case of fresh Hatch chile peppers, but it was misting/drizzling there and the chile pepper roasters, though set up outside, were unmanned and we couldn't have gotten the peppers roasted while we waited.

So, we have our Hatch chile pepper fix, and it generally signifies the end of summer weather, although that may not be true this summer.

Sometimes I see Hatch chile peppers in other stores here in southcentral OK or northcentral Texas, but only Central Market (as far as I know) has the marvelous Hatch Chile Festival where you can buy anything and everything made with Hatch chile peppers.

I'm going to save some seeds from some of the raw peppers we bought, but I don't think I could grow peppers here as large or as tasty as the ones from Hatch. (And I don't think it is all in my head, either.)

Dawn

Comments (14)