SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

OT: Why Did The Cougars Cross The Road?

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

The answer to the question in the title....of course, would be, to get to the other side. (sigh)

About 2:40 p.m. I received a phone call alerting me that two cougars were seen crossing our road approximately 3/4 mile north of our house. They were headed from the west (the Red River bottomland area) and were crossing our road and going onto a ranch, headed east (towards I-35). This occurred a few minutes before I received the phone call.

They were seen by one of our neighbors who, like me, is not a kook. He's a normal, middle-aged man with a family and pets and he is a law enforcement officer by profession. He's a "country boy" who knows a cougar or a coyote or a bobcat when he sees one. In other words, he is credible.

Two things really bother me:

a) The were outside in broad daylight at roughly 2:30 p.m. on a warm, sunny day.

b) They were traveling together. I find this odd, but I am not a cougar expert. I thought they tended to travel alone, except for a mother with cubs.

There are other things that bother me....but in a personal way....like.....when will it be safe to let the kitty cats go back outside? Today? No. Tomorrow? Maybe. Ever? I don't know. Can I go out to the garden and feel safe, even with a gun? I doubt it. What now? I don't know.

There are some other things I am feeling and thinking. Here's a sample:

PANIC: Two together in broad daylight on a road that has a moderate amount of traffic all day long. If they came from the river, they had to cross 1 or 2 ranches to reach the road. People live on those ranches. In fact, they are retired people and they are usually home, so the cats don't seem to be afraid to be seen in broad daylight by the humans who live on those places.

Could I protect myself from two? I can see myself shooting one. Could I manage to shoot two if I had to and could I do it quickly enough? I have no idea.

RELIEF: Although other people who live along our road, and on the side roads that intersect it have seen cougars at some time in the past, no one but I had seen them this year until today. As you know if you've read the two or three previous threads, I've seen one in June and a different one in August.

There is no doubt in my mind that I saw a cougar each time, and I have believed they were different enough in size that it was two separate ones. I know what I've seen and yet....there has been a part of me that has tried to convince myself that I was (a) going crazy, (b) hallucinating, (c) panicking and over-reacting and misidentifying something else as cougars. I don't know how to accurately describe it, but the argument I have been having with myself (as irrational as it seems) is that it is not "logical" that cougars would be roaming through front yards here in our semi-rural area, so therefore they weren't here, even though I KNOW I saw them. In other words, I've tried to talk myself into believing I didn't really see what I know I did see.

So, one of the strongest feelings I am experiencing now is just relief that I am not crazy, hallucinating or misidentifying a less dangerous animal as a cougar.

FEAR: What now? Tim went jogging this morning and, as he left, I called out "Watch out for my pet cougars?" It was funny, said mostly in jest, but I was a little nervous until I heard him coming in the back door after his jog. At what point do we stop doing things like walking the dogs or going jogging? FYI--I mostly gave up walking the dogs after the first sighting, and I don't know when, or if, I'll ever feel safe enough to resume walking them. Stopping Tim from jogging will be a bit harder--he's very stubborn!

WONDER: How do the deer know when the Cougars are out there and when it is safe? Right this minute, the doe and her twin yearlings are at the compost pile, most likely eating the kitchen scraps I've carried out there while canning and dehydrating produce today. Are the cougars the reason the deer are coming by at 3:30 in the afternoon, instead of at their 'usual' time around sunrise or sunset? Have the cougars started hunting in the middle of the afternoon because they can't find deer at night? So many questions. So few answers.

We've alerted all the neighbors that live on our road, from our corner 1/3 mile south of us, to the road they were seen crossing 3/4s mile north of us. Beyond that road--north about a mile--is a subdivision with houses on more-or-less city-sized lots. I can't imagine the cougars would go into an area with a population density like that.

So, I am not crazy. It is two cougars, not one. They were described as being about the size of/slightly larger than coyotes, which fits with my description of them being small and mostly likely juveniles who've lost their spots. (The one in June had faint spots, the one in August had no spots but was smaller, so I guessed it must be a female.) They are out in daylight hours. They seem fairly fearless.

I don't know what else to say. I want to laugh (crazily, like a mad scientist) and say "See there, I knew what I was seeing." I want to cry. None of us or our animals are safe enough while they are roaming here. I know that they seldom attack humans, but that does not mean they never attack humans. If you encounter one, you know it 'probably' will not attack you, but you do not know that it 'definitely' will not attack. I used to go all over our 14.5 acres with my only real fear being that I'd step on a snake during snake season. Now, I am nervous walking from the house to the garden or to the garage or to the mailbox. In a way, I've lost my innocence about this place. I always felt safe here, whether in the yard or garden or woods. Now, I don't know if it is ever possible to feel safe again, but probably not.

My first reaction, by the way, was to ask "Did he get a photo of them?" The person who called me didn't know, but I doubt it. On the other hand, he has a really nice phone with a great camera, so maybe he did. We'll know in time.

Anyway, there it is. Your comments and suggestions are welcome. I appreciate all of you who never said to me "Dawn, either you're crazy or you're seeing things", because there are times I said that to myself. And, I want to make it clear that I include Scott in that because even though he pushes us to evaluate/understand what we think we're seeing, he also has been most helpful and encouraging through this whole ordeal, as have the rest of you.

I need to go back to the kitchen and put up all my peppers and stuff, because I'm no longer in the mood to make jelly. I'll start over in the morning.

Dawn

Comments (33)