SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelmilk

Being defeated by mealybugs

angelmilk
9 years ago

My mandevilla vine was once flourishing and growing fast, but now it's infested with mealybugs. We have tried everything... a mixture spray of dish soap and water, organic insecticides, and even the chemical ones. Nothing seems to be working on these incredibly frustrating pests. They just keep returning, and I suspect they might be multiplying in the roots (as read somewhere else on this forum). I just don't know what to do. I have not tried the q-tip method, but have real doubts that this would work because I have tried 3 other methods so far without success, and doubt a q-tip would defeat them.

My plant is on the verge of dying, and it's beautiful leaves have thinned out so much that it looks nowhere near like the plant we brought home just 2 months ago. Its growth has stopped and half of it is just brown and yellow leaves. The problem is the mealy bugs have attached themselves to the thickest parts of its twisted vines (we are letting it wrap around one of our posts), and they are just in impossible places even if we were to go at it with a q-tip, we would have to unwrap all of its vines. At this point, should I even bother keeping this plant? I really do not want to throw it out, after all the hard work we put towards planting it and training it to the pole, not to mention it was not a cheap plant (for me).

Please, someone, help me! I'm drowning here in mealybugs... haha.

Thanks.

Comments (2)