SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Admitting Defeat - Xeriscaping?

Redthistle
19 years ago

Some of you know me from the Texas forum.

I've been gardening on fast-draining caliche for more than three years. Prior to that, I gardened on clay (only 5 minutes away from this house) with much success.

Where I live now, I water every 4 days and by the 3rd day after watering deeply, the soil is completely dry despite compost, mulch, and expensive soil amendments.

I don't want a cactus garden, but I have to admit since many of my plants aren't doing well--even some of my natives--that something needs to change. Many plants haven't bloomed in all three years that I've had them.

What is doing well for me are the plants that don't need water. I never water my culinary sage, rosemary, Mountain Laurel, oregano, lantana, and another gray-leafed plant whose name I can't think of. They are all happy.

So, here are my questions: Does anyone have pretty pictures of xeriscape gardens without yuccas and agaves? I did a Google search and couldn't find anything. Can one do cottage gardening with xeriscape plants?

Anyone know where the xeriscape groups are in Austin, TX?--I went to the local xeriscape club site, and they no longer exist. I also went to the Native Plant Society website for Austin, and their links also no longer connect.

By the way, last month's water bill (hold your breath) was $155.00 and that was only for the water portion. I'm not neccessarily looking for low-maintenance gardening though. Instead, I'm looking for healthy/happy plants that like my dry, shallow conditions which probably means xeriscaping.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022