SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara628

Unknown pest on my plants. Please help!

Sara628
10 years ago

Hi, This is the first year I'm gardening in a backyard with a lawn and in Norfolk, VA. In the past I have only had a balcony in central new jersey, likewise this is the first year I have had any pest issues besides the occasional fungus knats, mildew, or white flies. Also my first time gardening in full sun. On my basil, my dwarf dahlias, and on my money plant (lunaria annua) I have these tiny pin head sized black dots on the leaves. They are not grouped together maybe one or two on a leaf and just one on another. Some are raised and can be scratched off and there is a brown spot left on the leaf. Some are fully in the leaf itself, after a while they start getting browner and lighter. The dahlias and Basil both also have leaves that have been eaten away ate and resemble swiss cheese. I have not seen any insects yet, except for a lot of common flies, and the occasional wasp. I plan on using a doctor bronners castille soap mixed with water spray but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with first. Besides the leaf damage the plants continue to grow just fine. I have been searching the internet for a few days and I can't seem to find anything like this. So I was hoping someone here might know. I water almost daily on hot dry days like we have been having this last week because they are drying up so quickly, though I try not to water in the bright sun when I do I try to splash water on the leaves. All plants are in containers and my basil is in a frog sandbox that i converted into a herb garden (holes drilled in bottom). I use a mixture of store bought compost, peat moss, perlite and golds potting mix or miracle grow potting mix. We just recently had alot of heavy rains on and off for a couple weeks. I haven't fertilized yet as most were started from seed and I didn't want to fertilize too soon. They are planted in full sun. The money plant and dahlias receive afternoon shade. The basil is full grown though I prune often, the dahlias are half their size but with alot of leaves and new growth. The money plant only as two sets of true leaves and not growing very quickly or well (a whole other story behind them). I hope I haven't given too much or too little information. As soon as I get a chance I will take some pictures to upload as well. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Comments (4)