SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakedbeans_gw

New member intro

bakedbeans
17 years ago

Hi. I thought I might introduce myself. I'm Bobbie. I moved back home to OK from Seattle a few years ago. I lived in Seattle for 25 years and was an avid urban gardener. I gardened on a sandy plot, in a cool climate with generous rain. I moved to rural Oklahoma, have 90 acres and am trying to carve a little landscaped area around the house--meadow gardening is beyond my energy and budget. As you can imagine, things are a bit different here--like, totally, as my daughter would say.

I kind of declared war on Mother Nature at the start and, not surprisingly, she won. Now I'm concentrating on plants that work here as well as taking advantage of pockets of micro climates (for instance, the north side of the house which is shaded in the afternoon) to grow violets and a few other things that can't stand up to the sun. We've done some raised beds and will be using them for perennials for cut flowers, bulbs that would rot in the clay (as I discovered after investing lots of money in daffs and tulips and lilies) because I love having flowers in the house and find the availabiltiy limited and expensive here. My husband made a blueberry bed for me in one of the raised beds and I have two plants--they are babied beyond belief, but are my favorite berry. Will be adding herbs, a kitchen garden, etc. next year. I'm currently composting and improving the soil, as there is not point in putting a plant in the ground unless some improvment is made. We've gone through lots of sand and compost in the regular areas and continue to improve, improve, improve.

That's enough from me. I've not had any avid gardening friends with whom to share information and query about gardening since I moved and look forward to being a part of the forum. I hope I can contribute something helpful. Critters are a major issue here in the country and I think I've devised a couple of clever tactics.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting