SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aviastar

New, in VA, and an intro!

Hi All!

I'm new this season to the GardenWeb forums, but I am really excited to get into gardening!

My husband and I are rehabbing an 1840's cabin and it's accompanying 3+ acres which have been sadly neglected for at least 30 years. And by neglected, I mean some addicts were living in the house sans running water- they obviously didn't mow the yard, although they did leave three generations of beer cans instead.

We've gotten the house liveable, and the yard cleared and fenced- about an acre of it- and we're slowly working on the rest of the property; cleaning, restoring outbuildings, planting. We've made some purposeful decisions, like a bulb bed that will hopefully one day run the length of the original stone wall and some fruit trees. But we've also made some wonderful discoveries, like the beautiful Rose of Sharon bushes stuck in an overgrown mess of prickles on the bank by the road.

We're in the Appalachian foothills in the northern part of VA, so I am lamenting our lingering winter. I had big plans this year, that I think I will have to scale back a bit, but I do have some climbing roses, some glads, and some dahlias on order. My very first bulbs- crocus and daffodils- are coming up/blooming and it's giving me hope!

So, just saying 'hi!' and hopefully you'll be seeing joyful posts about my progress soon!

Comments (14)

Sponsored